What are these?

I used the blue plastic Carlon boxes from home depot in the detached
garage. When I was puttign a new fixture in the hallway to my house, I
noticed a tan looking ceilign box was used and there was a "black
plastic thing" for lack of a better word inside the box against the
wires coing into the box.
What are those and were those needed in my detached garage with the
blue plastic outlet boxes? I did wire staple the wires within 6 inches
of the box.
Reply to
stryped
Those are wire clamps. They are now required for all boxes other than a single gang. By code and when working with opened walls, no clamp mean you have to staple within 8" of the box (as measured along the cable). If there is a clamp in the box then your staple could be 12" away.
Reply to
Rich.
I stapled within 6 inches of the box and no clamp. I assume this is ok?
Reply to
stryped
You're kidding...right?
Reply to