What are these?

I used the blue plastic Carlon boxes from home depot in the detached garage. When I was puttign a new fixture in the hallway to my house, I
noticed a tan looking ceilign box was used and there was a "black plastic thing" for lack of a better word inside the box against the wires coing into the box.
What are those and were those needed in my detached garage with the blue plastic outlet boxes? I did wire staple the wires within 6 inches of the box.

Those are wire clamps. They are now required for all boxes other than a single gang. By code and when working with opened walls, no clamp mean you have to staple within 8" of the box (as measured along the cable). If there is a clamp in the box then your staple could be 12" away.

I stapled within 6 inches of the box and no clamp. I assume this is ok?

You're kidding...right?