Wiring Mistake

The existing wire in my garage is 14 AWG.

Lowe's accidentally sold me 12 AWG black and green, and 14 AWG white. I didn't notice until I got home.

I went ahead and used the wire to install a new quad box with a GFCI outlet and a "load" outlet. Obviously, years down the line, if somebody opens the boxes, there's a discrepancy there. Should I redo the wiring?

Thanks.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

your fine if its a 15 amp circuit.

Reply to
Sonco

Generally, you are allowed to use larger than required wire. Its a little odd and if it bothers you, pull the white wire and replace it with a larger one. Me - I would leave it as is.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

14 AWG is fine if the 'protective device' (the circuit breaker feeding it) is rated for 15A. The largest circuit breaker size you can use is determined by the current capability of the most limiting component (with exceptions for some things like 15A recept. on a branch ckt). So if you have a 15A breaker, you're okay with 14AWG on one side (a little odd, but okay).

If you want to use a larger, 20A breaker because of some heavy duty tools or whatever, you'll need to pull a new 12 AWG white wire.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Did you put this wiring in conduit?