What are these

Earlier on today a neighbour of mine stopped by so I could pick over some bits he was clearing out of his place and taking to the tip. He is
living in a bungalow that used to belong to his wife's grandfather and he was a machinist apparently. I'm curious about one set of items and wonder if anyone knows what they are. I've placed a picture here
http://www.metal-arts.co.uk/temp/what_is_it.jpg . The lower group in the picture I vaguely think I've seen before and may be taper pin reamers but I've not seen them like this as they're square or pentagonal and came in a tube labelled "broaches", the upper two items have a very fine file on one end and the other end is ground flat on all sides except for a very small section of file teeth on one corner near the handle, each end has a nice protective screw on cap as shown and I was wondering if these had a specific use or just how this chap kept these tools.
Looking forward to any insights.
On Jul 24, 9:18pm, David Billington

The lower items are clockmaker broaches used to enlarge pivot holes in clock plates, the files are also used in clock work Peter
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:18:30 +0100, David Billington
One set are probably clockmaker's broaches, for increasing the size of holes. The files might be for that and for polishing/burnishing, but that's a guess.
regards Mark Rand RTFM

Did he also dabble in clock-mending?
--
Roland Craven
Nr. Exeter, Devon, UK
Roland Craven wrote:

I'll ask. Thanks for the other replies it does seem clock related then.
On 24/07/2011 21:18, David Billington wrote:

Some of them are just what it says - five-sided broaches. They are used by clock makers and model makers to enlarge holes slightly. Typical use is opening out holes in clock plates to fit bushes. Still readily available from horological suppliers in a huge range of sizes - those ae quite big ones.
On 24/07/2011 21:18, David Billington wrote:

The top two are pivot files for repairing and polishing pivots on clock arbours. The "broaches" are broaches for adjusting the pivot holes in clock plates to fit the arbours, for example. They would be normal tools for a clock maker/repairer.
Bill Lamond
"Bill Lamond" wrote in message
On 24/07/2011 21:18, David Billington wrote:

The top two are pivot files for repairing and polishing pivots on clock arbours. The "broaches" are broaches for adjusting the pivot holes in clock plates to fit the arbours, for example. They would be normal tools for a clock maker/repairer.
Bill Lamond
Worn pivot files were often made into burnishers. I have some. I used to repair antique clocks and watches.
Steve R.
"David Billington" wrote in message
[...]
They are clockmakers broaches, and may be some files and burnishers.
Steve R.

They are clock maker's broaches.

Most of them are 5-sided cutting broaches used by clock makers to enlarge tapered holes prior to fitting tapered bushes. The other tool is a combined pivot file and burnisher which cost about 26 new, so if you still have them it would be worth putting them up for auction.
Cliff Coggin.