What are these

Earlier on today a neighbour of mine stopped by so I could pick over
some bits he was clearing out of his place and taking to the tip. He is
living in a bungalow that used to belong to his wife's grandfather and
he was a machinist apparently. I'm curious about one set of items and
wonder if anyone knows what they are. I've placed a picture here
. The lower group in the
picture I vaguely think I've seen before and may be taper pin reamers
but I've not seen them like this as they're square or pentagonal and
came in a tube labelled "broaches", the upper two items have a very fine
file on one end and the other end is ground flat on all sides except for
a very small section of file teeth on one corner near the handle, each
end has a nice protective screw on cap as shown and I was wondering if
these had a specific use or just how this chap kept these tools.
Looking forward to any insights.
Reply to
David Billington
The lower items are clockmaker broaches used to enlarge pivot holes in clock plates, the files are also used in clock work Peter
Reply to
Drawfiler
One set are probably clockmaker's broaches, for increasing the size of holes. The files might be for that and for polishing/burnishing, but that's a guess.
regards Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Did he also dabble in clock-mending?
Reply to
Roland Craven
I'll ask. Thanks for the other replies it does seem clock related then.
Reply to
David Billington
Some of them are just what it says - five-sided broaches. They are used by clock makers and model makers to enlarge holes slightly. Typical use is opening out holes in clock plates to fit bushes. Still readily available from horological suppliers in a huge range of sizes - those ae quite big ones.
Reply to
Norman Billingham
The top two are pivot files for repairing and polishing pivots on clock arbours. The "broaches" are broaches for adjusting the pivot holes in clock plates to fit the arbours, for example. They would be normal tools for a clock maker/repairer.
Bill Lamond
Reply to
Bill Lamond
[...]
They are clockmakers broaches, and may be some files and burnishers.
Steve R.
Reply to
Steve
The top two are pivot files for repairing and polishing pivots on clock arbours. The "broaches" are broaches for adjusting the pivot holes in clock plates to fit the arbours, for example. They would be normal tools for a clock maker/repairer.
Bill Lamond
Worn pivot files were often made into burnishers. I have some. I used to repair antique clocks and watches.
Steve R.
Reply to
Steve
They are clock maker's broaches.
Reply to
anon and off
Most of them are 5-sided cutting broaches used by clock makers to enlarge tapered holes prior to fitting tapered bushes. The other tool is a combined pivot file and burnisher which cost about £26 new, so if you still have them it would be worth putting them up for auction.
Cliff Coggin.
Reply to
Cliff Coggin