What are the smallest files?

I was complaining to my brother about the fact that my needle files are sometimes too big for what I'm doing. He pulled out some tiny tiny files and showed me but didn't know where he got them. I've looked thru the catalogs I have and they only have the normal needle files.

Reply to
ken

Ask your dentist about the ones he uses for root canals...

Reply to
Rick

Check any jewelry or watchmaking supplies outfit. For instance:

John Ings

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:48:32 GMT, "Rick" calmly ranted:

Those aren't files, they're drill bits. I should know, as a kind dentist left 3 tips in 3 canals on one tooth eons ago. Luckily, it hasn't caused any problems for me. Yeah, he was the one who did that the day before I left for a camping weekend on the Colorado River and who put on the temporary cap which turned out to be way too temporary. It came off at midnight bad enough to climb the tent walls and drive back in the middle of the night so I could wake him up early Sunday morning to fix the damned thing.

Yup, they're drill bits alright. Tee-tiny tapered spiral bits.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

E gads. That story gives me the shivers. Sorry to hear you went through that. I've had a few problematic root cannels myself, but nothing like that.

Reply to
Daven Thrice

Actually they're called Root Canal Reamers, guys...

Bill P Phx

Reply to
Bill P

1) Micromark
2) Rio Grande Jewelers Supply

The first specializes in tools for model makers. The second is a jeweler's supply catalog.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Hi Larry, I could have sworn they were some kind of round file. My dentist uses them with just an up and down motion, no rotation involved. Maybe there is different types, I dunno.

Reply to
Jim

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:25:56 -0700, "Daven Thrice" calmly ranted:

I didn't know about it until my next checkup and x-rays. The dentist asked about the metal in my tooth. When he showed me, I realized what had happened and told him that story.

  • Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming
  • better time with a roller. **
Larry Jaques

The endodontist I went to a couple of weeks ago for a root canal :( also used small hand-held round files, up and down. The handle was 1 or 2 cm long, 4-5 mm diam, and the file part of the one I looked at close up was 2 or 3 cm long and perhaps half a mm diam. The technician said they are made of stainless steel.

However, the files referred to halfway through

are NiTi and used in cordless electric handpieces at 150-300 rpm.

Halfway through

is a picture of some hand files. (Misleadingly placed right after the heading "Rotary nickel titanium file systems and motors". The actual reference to Figure 9 is at the end of the "Hand files" section,

2/3 through the webpage.)

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:52:18 -0500, James Waldby calmly ranted:

Could be.

My pieces are still there but I have no idea what alloy they are.

"1. Only use brand new files. Once they are used, throw them away!

  1. When working with files, use good sense, if you know you've been putting a lot of stress on a file, get rid of it before you break it.
  2. Inspect your files with your loupes as you work and look for untwisting or stretching of the tip."

"Untwisting" sounds a lot like a drill bit to me. YMMV.

  • Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming
  • better time with a roller. **
Larry Jaques

Better find out. If you ever have to have a MRI, they could go ballistic and spear through your brain like old phono graph needles from a rail gun.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:37:24 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

From the other antics of this dentist, they're probably cast iron and would do me in. Has anyone here ever been in an MRI and had old pieces of metal jump out? The thought of a splinter of steel in one's eye shredding it as it came out sends shivers up my spine.

  • Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming
  • better time with a roller. **
Larry Jaques

I think the risk of the pieces getting loose from inside a tooth is practically zero, although apparently an MRI might get painful (eg

says some people with old metal-bearing-ink tattoos report pain during MRI).

Anyway, apparently any doctor who finds out about those bits will be unlikely to call for an MRI, according to the "Before the test" section in

's "Preparation for this procedure" section. Both web pages say xrays will be taken to look for metal particles if you think have some.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Before I had my feet MRI'ed, the tech asked me if I did any metalworking. I replyed "Yes. Lots of it." He went out of the room and consulted for a while. Apparently they decided that random teeny metallic particles were not going to be a problem. He pushed the button and got the picture. As Far As I Know, nothing jumped through my hands and onto the magnet.

He said that he couldn't give me a copy of the MRI data file either, but that's a different thread.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I have some tiny bits and pieces of copper, cupronickle and some tiny cast iron ones in my back and side. There has been some concern each and everytime I had an MRI or Cat scan. The only noticable effect was some heating that was noticable (felt like a cigarette touch) on one occasion, and on one bit of mixed copper/cast iron, that was removed during the first back surgery.

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann

Reply to
Gunner

I use escapement files. Small cutting blade with regular legenth handles. They are available at some jewelry and watchmaker supply houses.

I use mine for filing notches and seats on prong mountings and cleaning up prongs when setting diamonds . These are available in a # 8 cut and in 6 common profiles . You can go from the finish left to tripoli and then rouge . Take care of them . They are expensive. ROBB

Reply to
ROBB

Your dentist will tell you he uses instruments designated as reamers and others desinated as files. The difference is in the pitch of the flutes and how the flutes are created. K-type files are a square cross section, tapered and twisted. Hedgstrom files are a tapered rod with the cutting flutes created by a lathe process. Reamers are triangular in cross section, tapered and twisted to create the cutting edges.

rhg

Bill P wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

The had held files are about all the same length. The diameter varies quite a but from the finest to the largest.

rhg

James Waldby wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

A drill bit has flutes and can "untwist". The device is meant to cut only on the end. A reamer cuts on the side. An upcut spiral end mill cuts on the end and on the side. The dentist's reamers and files are designed to cut primarily on the side.

bob g.

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway