Question about metal working from newbie

Hi, in terms of metal working for fabricating small parts of my own design and such, what are the essential metal working skills I need to know. Could you experienced guys lay it out for me - what are the skills & equipment I need to do the basics?

I have basic woodworking skills.

Reply to
zalzon

Depends on the nature of the type of work you intend to do. Sheet metal work is totally different from machining, for example. Can you be a bit more specific in your inquiry?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Anything from drilling holes (maybe tapping threads) and bolting it together like an Erector set, to riveting sheetmetal, all sorts of neat hammering, welding, etc. For fabricating (machining?) small parts instead of frames and such, you'll want anything from a piece of stock, a hacksaw and files to a mill or lathe. A foundry can get you there quicker, too (see my website).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams