Question about metal working from newbie

Hi,
in terms of metal working for fabricating small parts of my own
design and such, what are the essential metal working skills I need to
know. Could you experienced guys lay it out for me - what are the
skills & equipment I need to do the basics?
I have basic woodworking skills.

Reply to
zalzon
Depends on the nature of the type of work you intend to do. Sheet metal work is totally different from machining, for example. Can you be a bit more specific in your inquiry?
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
Anything from drilling holes (maybe tapping threads) and bolting it together like an Erector set, to riveting sheetmetal, all sorts of neat hammering, welding, etc. For fabricating (machining?) small parts instead of frames and such, you'll want anything from a piece of stock, a hacksaw and files to a mill or lathe. A foundry can get you there quicker, too (see my website).
Tim

Tim Williams