Newbie question

Hi, I want to make some steel bars 36" long with a cross section of roughly

0.5" x 0.128", but i would like to have a couple of inches of threaded rod on one end. Is it posible to make this from one piece steel? I considered either starting with the flat bar and hammering / machining(no idea how) one end into a rod shape or starting with a rod and flattening it off for most of the bar. Are either of these aproaches feasible? (Btw i know very little about metalwork)

thanks,

chris

Reply to
chrisj

Why not just weld the threaded rod onto the end of the flat bar? Ken.

90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
Reply to
Ken Sterling

Consider a 0.5" x 1/8" tool steel flat of 36" length. That'd be within

0.003" of your specified 0.128" dimennsion. For the threaded 2" you could mill away the end to leave a 0.5" x 0.125" x 2" and then build up the end's flat center piece with silver soldered slabs to 0.5". You'd have a 2" long bar of aprox. 1/2" square that could be turned down on even filed down to a round for threading.
Reply to
Robert Swinney

"chrisj" wrote: Hi, I want to make some steel bars 36" long with a cross section of roughly 0.5" x 0.128", but i would like to have a couple of inches of threaded rod on one end. (clip)(Btw i know very little about metalwork) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why does it have to be made of one piece? How many of these do you need? Are you trying to do it yourself with no metal working skills and no tools? Are you willing to pay a shop to do it for you? Have you exhausted all alernatives, such as welding, drilling and bolting, drilling and hooking, etc?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Reply to
Don Young

It is going to be under tension (around 50-70 lbs) so i figured a single piece would be better, but now I am not sure its important, flattening the rod and overlapping the weld seems like it would be plenty strong enough to join 2 pieces.

That sounds like a very good idea, overlapping and welding. I have access to a mig, arc, and oxy aceteline(spelling?) welders, (luckily my brother is a tool greedy mechanic), which would be best for such small work? I have a very small amount of experience with each but can allways get my brother to teach me what is needed. I would ask him to do it but he is a bit rough and ready for my liking, no finesse' at all ;-)

thanks for all the replys!

chris

Reply to
chrisj

I would recommend brazing it with oxyacetylene That would have ample strength for 50 to 70 lb, and it's quite easy for a beginner to get right.

Reply to
Don Foreman