Replacement heating element for Heat Treat Furnace

I tring to find a replacement heating element for a heat treat furnace. The temp is 2300*F 240V 40 Amp Single Phase. Here is a photo of the setup. There is no manufacturer name on the furnace but the controller is Barber Colman Controller Model 293C

Steve

Reply to
gtslabs

Take that if you can with you to the /a local furnace/wood stove/pottery supply. They can likely match the fittings(ceramic) and always replace the coil. Tell them what you do - what temps - and that will help them pick the proper metal. Kanthal is the likely best for you.

I've done this with large pottery kilns - measured the troughts to lay the coils in -

gtslabs wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I am pretty sure you are not in Seattle, but Seattle Pottery does mail order. <

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

If you can characterize the resistance wire (gage and/or ohms per ft) you can buy the wire from mscdirect.com or mcmaster.com and wind the coil yourself cheaply. Porcelain floor tile works well for improvising ceramic heating fixtures, if the old one is not serviceable, and you have no better source.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
Roger

If Canthal it will do that, if Nichrome - it is brittle by now. Maybe laying it over each other and tying it somewhat tight with wire and then apply the flux. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Roger wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn