making a '3 cornered scraper'

I have need of an old tool called a 3 cornered scaper. It is at firs

sight, similar to a triangular file, with no teeth. Does anybody kno of a place in the UK where one can be purchased? Or failing that, I wa informed that such an implement can be manufactured from a afformentioned triangular file, with the teeth ground off it by grinding wheel, and three fine edges left on it. Does anyone have an experience of this

-- doc

Reply to
doc

Not in the UK, but MSC has the imported ones on sale in their September flyer, $2-$5 depending on the size. At that price, stock up. Surely they'll ship across the pond.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

Chronos have them

Look for item TR101 Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

You cam make one from a three-cornered file. It takes some time and patience. I have several but the best one is made by grinding one side in a curve. This curve meets the two other (straight) sides in a point. This makes a much more versatile tool.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

if you have a piece of hex stock, put a setscrew in the middle of one of the flats and bore/drill a hole to fit the major od of the old file. lock the file with the setscrew onto a flat side of the file. holding the flat side of the hex down on the grinder rest, stroke the file across the face of the grinding wheel. rotate every other flat until the ground edges start to meet. I prefer a slight curve at the front of my scraper / burr knife but our tool maker prefers the front end of his just on some kind of angle because of the life he gets grinding it that way. I have made them also with the shank of old drills that are large enough.

Reply to
jay s

Also called a bearing scraper. I got one locally, german made, $15; wood handle falls off, tho. :( If Gary's MSC items are similar, indeed, stock up!!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

IIRC this is also known as a bearing scraper - at least that's what I bought from Pascal Hardware about 25 years ago ($1.49) Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

You can make one with a steady hand and some patience at the grinder. You just don't want to let it get any hotter than you can comfortably hold, so lots of dipping it in water to keep it cool. If you are comfortable with basic heat treating, just grind the heck out of it and reharden after the fact.

Any machine tool supplier that stock deburring tool sets will have them as well, in smaller sizes, anyway. The Shaviv brand kit in my toolbox has two triangular tips, one about 1/8" across the flat, the other about 1/4".

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
trevor jones

The scraper if it is the same one - is a sheet of metal that is a triangle - each edge is made a scraper. The center is then screwed into a long handle. I've never seen a long one. Would think it hard to use.

I suppose you could grind down the faces if you could hold it somehow.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

doc wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
Jim Sehr

I don't know where to get them in the UK, but I know several places in Germany where you can get them.

Karl Fischer GmbH in Pforzheim (terrible web site design, and only in German too

The entire catalogue is online at
The scraper (called Hohlschaber or Dreikantschaber in German) can be found on page 75 of the PDF file (page 91 of 346 of the print catalogue)

You can order a print catalogue here:

Another company that will have this tool is Schmalz, also in Pforzheim.
Another extremely poorly implemented web site. These German companies just don't get the Net. No matter what language you choose on this site, when you click on catalogue, the catalogue page appears for a fraction of a second, and then defaults to a rather pathetic online order catalogue of just a handful of tools.

I guess you'd have to email them, if you want a catalogue from them

This kind of scraper is a commonly used tool by goldsmiths. I have several, and use them daily to remove burs etc.

I have made several from triangular hand files also. Do not use a grinding wheel to take off the teeth of the file, but rather a stationary belt sander. Fast and precise.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Jeweler supply house. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

I just caught up with your post Garry. A bearing scraper (at least the ones I have seen) have all three sides gently curved. My design has two sides as straight as I can get them with the third side curved (rather sharply) to meet the other two in a sharp point. This allows the tool to get into an internal shoulder as well. I don't know how many times I have stabbed myself on the point of this tool but it also lends itself for use as a scriber in a pinch.

Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Hi, The tool is pretty common in brass musical instrument repair. Ferrees music here in the US can mail you one. They are on the web somewhere. I just picked up one at a hardware store that was closing... mine was made in china so if you have any of the stores there that sell Chinese tools you might find one.

LB

Reply to
brassbend