how to make a hole /dogleg tool

This is a newbe question

I'm working in aluminium, the origional plans I'm following had a lot of work done on a Lathe I'm attempting to do it with a mill on a rotary table (don't presently have a lathe) (Nothing spins so perfectly round/ concentric is not a big issue)

I need to cut a chamber behind a 1" threaded opening.

The chamber is round about 1.75" in diameter and .375 deep.

The instructions i'm following said to use a dogleg tool on the lathe.

since i'm trying to do this on the mill its a bit different.

So several questions....

1)If I go borrow a friends lathe, where can I get/ how do I make a dogleg tool? I just know this is going to be answered something like "make a steel tool and grind the proper relief, rake and chip clearance..." Where can someone learn what all the bit/tool grinding names mean, releif, rake etc....

2)What tool would you use on a mill to do the same job What tool would you buy or how would you make it?

I've been thinking that something like a tslot cutter would be the proper tool. Alas finding one with a 1/4" shank and 1" cutter head may be tough.

My other option is to just machine it out to 1.75 then weld a plate/ plug in the top of the hole, and machine the hole back out to 1" and thread it.

Paul

Reply to
pbreed

Hey Paul,

A "dog-leg" just means it isn't straight, but bent. Most commonly these are lathe cutting bits made from a solid, rather than a small piece of (HSS??) held in a holder. If you point your index finger at somebody, then "crook" the finger at the first knuckle, you will be making a fine resemblance of the dog-leg. In your case, it sounds more like a boring tool would work. Any good book or booklet on lathe work will show and describe the different types of lathe cutting tools, and the different parts you ask about.

Idea number four sounds pretty simple, and reasonable!

Take care.

Brian Laws>

done on a Lathe

the top of the hole,