Accuratly bending threaded rod---SOLVED!

Thanks for all the ideas guys! For me, getting ideas out of my box helps a lot to either directly solving the challenge with those ideas or boosting my imagination. I forwarded all your ideas to my engineering team and we came up with a simple way to do it...at least on paper. The job can be done on a small punch press where the die will part the rod and do the bend will simply not touch the 1/2" on each end. I don't care it the rest of the threads are mashed a bit. One of the guys is fairly certain he knows how to part the rod and still be able to start a nut easily.

There still is some debate if it will be better to part the rod in a separate operation for the ergonomics. Sometimes it IS better and faster to have two simple operations than one that is more complex.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Have you ever tried to bend allthread? It prefers to break quite often. (at least when caressed with a hammer in a vise) That's why I suggested heating. Maybe you can find a better grade of allthread than I've used in the past.

Bell shaped grinding disc?

You bet. G'luck!

-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How about using something like a 2" long threaded nuts to screw on the ends thus protecting them and providing a good item to push upon as needed. Then simply un-thread them and the threads are clean.

Mart> Thanks for all the ideas guys! For me, getting ideas out of my box helps

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

How about using something like a 2" long threaded nuts to screw on the ends thus protecting them and providing a good item to push upon as needed. Then simply un-thread them and the threads are clean.

Martin

Funny, we were just talking about that today. Now the thought is to put a gentle, single radiused bend, and we will need two different lengths of rod, one 4" and one 3".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hey Tom - I reckon some pictures of some of these custom machines and jigs of yours would be of great interest to many of us here, not to steal your ideas, just to see how things are done. Do you have any photos anywhere on the web or ones you are able to share?

Thanks

Reply to
Dennis

Here's one he uses for behind the ears.

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's a happy looking cow.

Impressive sales: "The company has already sold 30,000 cow washes in its native Sweden"

Reply to
Dennis

Here's one he uses for behind the ears.

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

I dated her sister, that's how I got the contract for product!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's not something _I'd_ ever have copped to.

P.S: Would you Live guys get a real news reader, please? When we try to quote you, your info goes "poof", disappearing like a sig file.

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You mean something like Thunderbird that doesn't allow you to edit all the settings forcing you to delete and reinstall accounts?

It sounds like a setting in your newsreader causing that.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Would it perhaps be better and easier to use solid non-threaded rod, cut to length, form the bends and then thread just the ends in an automated setup to thread both ends in one operation?

Reply to
Pete C.

That's not something _I'd_ ever have copped to.

P.S: Would you Live guys get a real news reader, please? When we try to quote you, your info goes "poof", disappearing like a sig file.

I've been trying out "Windows Live" on this new laptop and you're right, I hate it! Thunderbird?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Would it perhaps be better and easier to use solid non-threaded rod, cut to length, form the bends and then thread just the ends in an automated setup to thread both ends in one operation?

***************************** That's still on the table. We'll make some prototypes in a few different ways and see if it makes a difference in the finished product and what's best all around. Thanks for the ideas!
Reply to
Tom Gardner

While not ideal (I actually -loved- OE), it's the best I've checked out so far. It imported all my accounts from OE.

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd definitely think you would get a better product with standard steel rod, with (preferably) a rolled thread on each end.

Reply to
clare

Do the ends HAVE to be threaded? Would those "speed nuts" made from spring steel sheet work? Or those push on retainers as used to retain wheels on prams or some appliance parts.

Reply to
Dennis

While not ideal (I actually -loved- OE), it's the best I've checked out so far. It imported all my accounts from OE.

******************************

I had it on a pc at work, I didn't think it was very intuitive...now, where's that setting?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Do the ends HAVE to be threaded? Would those "speed nuts" made from spring steel sheet work? Or those push on retainers as used to retain wheels on prams or some appliance parts.

Now, THAT'S out of the box thinking! The product is a 4' long handle with two heavy-duty brushes at one end, it's used for cleaning big broilers and ovens. The end user will need to be able to change the brushes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It works OK for me, but then I use Netscape 4.80. Maybe it your: Forte Agent 6.00/32.1186

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Works OK, here. You must have something mis-configured in Agent....

Reply to
Gene