Why is my Colombian bench vise not breaking?

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/ColumbianvisefromBoeingsurplusinseafoamgreen4inch.jpg
I got this old vise with a bench from the old Boeing Surplus.
It is painted seafoam green, which means Boeing painted it decades before.
I have broken a number of 5" vises by tightening them with a cheater bar and a sledge hammer, but this little 4" keeps surviving.
Is it made of cast steel and the Chinese and Brit vises were made of cast iron?
TIA
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:29:12 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Don't give up !! You can figure out a way to break it. db

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/ColumbianvisefromBoeingsurplusinseafoamgreen4inch.jpg
I have a similar model I got from a company I worked for 30 years ago. I was lucky & got the swivel base with it. It was old then. Very heavy duty. Not sure of its' construction but it's mighty durable.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/ColumbianvisefromBoeingsurplusinseafoamgreen4inch.jpg
You need a longer cheater bar. :)
John
john wrote:

And maybe a bigger sledge hammer too.
" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/ColumbianvisefromBoeingsurplusinseafoamgreen4inch.jpg
The handle looks nice and straight The handle should bend before the vise will break.

I have straightened the handle.
" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote:

You did a good job
On Jun 19, 9:29pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

My favorite bench vise is a Columbian , possibly from Boeing Surplus. But I do not abuse it. Take care of it. It is one of the better vises one can find.
Dan
On Jun 20, 11:29am, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Nope, dont believe this one. But a good try tho. Andrew VK3BFA
On 6/20/2011 4:47 AM, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

What's not to believe? You never seen someone abuse a tool? While still in high school, I bought my first vise, what looked to me at the time, like a nice 6" vise. First time I tried bending a piece of 3/16 x 1" HRS, using a hammer to get a fairly sharp bend, it broke. I'd grown used to the old cast steel vise my dad had. That thing had taken -huge- amounts of abuse and today, close to 50 years later, it's battle scarred but still just as solid as the day I first saw it.
I resolved to never buy an import vise again, and since I couldn't afford a new quality vise the time, to only buy used older vises. Until someone here several years back posted that Starrett was dumping closed out vises. I wanted the 4" Machinist vise with the swiveling back jaw but they were sold out, so I bought the 6". It's the only new vise I've ever bought.
It's still in new condition, sitting behind my lathe. Sucker is so tall, if I mounted it to my bench, I'd be be working at near shoulder height! When I get my shop set up down under, it'll get on a steel post set into the concrete floor...
Jon

How about a posted welded to a steel plate with a few gussets, and then deadhead it into the floor? I keep telling myself I'm going to do something like that for my bench grinders, but then I never do. LOL.
On 6/20/2011 9:54 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Well, might do something like that. But not here, I just rent. Landlord is very understanding of my shop here, but bolting stuff to the floor might push it a bit too far...
Jon

I am in process of building a stand for one of my bench grinders. I got a truck brake drum , a car disk brake and some 6 inch pipe from the local scrap yard. If I had found some nice pieces of steel plate, I would not have used the car disk brake. I have welded the disk brake to the pipe using some stainless rod. The disk brake bolts to the truck brake drum. I hope to find a piece of plate tomorrow to weld to the top of the pipe to mount the grinder on. The stand will weigh about 120 lbs. I had made a similar stand, slightly lighter and it worked well. Did not need to be bolted down. But left it on the west coast when I moved.
Dan
On 6/20/2011 4:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

The 6" Starrett machinist vise with swiveling back jaw easily weighs more than 120lbs in and of itself. IIRC, the shipping weight was something like 240lbs.
To use the vise's potential is going to require it's bolted to something very very substantial. Like the floor... <G>
Jon

Bob was talking about a stand for his bench grinder. And it works for that. My vise was mounted on a 10 foot long work bench made of 2 by 12's and 4 by 4's for the legs. Almost heavy enough for my vise.
I have thought about filling the truck brake drum with concrete, but it is not necessary for a grinder and not enough for a large vise.
Dan
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:44:51 -0800, Jon Anderson

You could ask, and tell him that you'll fill the holes with cement gray bondo before you go if he wants. He may say "OK, but leave the holes/threaded inserts there."
-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!
On 6/20/2011 7:10 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I have WAY more than enough projects on my plate right now. You've seen my place, it's not gotten much better lately... <G>
Looking at a couple immigration options. I could be out of here middle of next year. I think I can manage without it until I'm there.
Jon
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:13:27 -0800, Jon Anderson

Yeah, you and I have deer paths to and from tools. Other people have real live _floor_space_.

You meant emigration, eh, mate? You're outta here and goin' Down Under to be with your sheila? I used to have a long distance relationship with a lady in NorCal when I was in LoCal, but I'd see her every month via a Southwest Airlines $39 RT flight. You've really outdone me there.
-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams
On 6/21/2011 12:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Ah, well emigrate, immigrate, two sides of the same coin. But I tend to think of the destination rather than the departure.

Yeah, well, my last trip was almost $1300, and that left me about 400 miles short of cashing in my FF miles for a damned cheap round trip. Uh-oh, United doubles the FF miles required for that. Well, I'll go one-way free next time, but the other way is almost what I paid for the last round trip. Cheap flights seem to be going away... :( Gonna -have to- move, it's getting too damned expensive flying back and forth...
And funny thing about long distance relationships, I passed up dating a wonderful lady in Sacramento back about 1982, as I thought 30 miles was too far... lol
Jon