The $1000 bench vise

How much is something worth?

Paul
Reply to
sandiapaul
Is it my imagination, or is there some Chinese casting-improvement spluge chipped off that thing?
Wayne
Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE_THIS
The seller seems to be "confused." The following statements are about a third of the way down the page:
"Reserve is set at approxmiately 1/3 the cost of purchasing a PSE replica. This is the ultimate Bugatti Bargain !"
"Starting bid is $0.99 USD and there is NO RESERVE. Canadian bidders, please observe that all pricing is in United States Currency."
Not exactly harmonious with each other, nor with the auction data at the top of the page.
Jim
Reply to
Jim Wilson
While I'll agree that there are WAY better bench vises in the world than my 4" Crapsman(cost $50ish, not sure,gift) I seriously doubt that any bench vise does the job ~200 times better?? Mine has always done just fine for me.
Tom
Reply to
Tom
And what would this spluge be called if it were chipped off a USA cast Burke mill or Atlas lathe?? I own both, and both have considerable amounts of spluge under the paint.
Tom
Reply to
Tom
Just read further on the description. *No Backlash*. Not that backlash on a vise is a priorty thing with me anyway, but jeez, what's in there, ball screws?? If there is no measurable backlash in this vise, I'll eat my shorts. (Gack)
Reply to
Jim Kovar
I didn't know the spluge was included on US castings, since I don't own any. I haven't seen it mentioned in US versus import discussions either up until now. Heck, I thought the Chinese invented the stuff. They used a bunch of it on the belt cover of my HF 3in1, which is made of sheet metal. Top that! ;-)
Wayne
Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE_THIS
Some people have more dollars then sense.
But "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten."
Lane G
Reply to
Lane
I spent six weeks (32hrs/week) filing at work. Just filing. I haven't completely stopped, but there's not a week that goes by when I don't file for at least 8 hours (I started 4 months ago). After all that bench work (file, open vice, clean chips off jaws, reclamp part in new position, continue filing, repeat as necessary) it's kind of nice to have tools that work.
I won't require a vice in about a year and a half (work will be too big for a vice) so I wouldn't personally go after this one. If I was going to do bench work for another 45 years, I'd seriously consider the investment.
Regards,
Robin
Reply to
Robin S.
Greetings and salutations...
Suddenly I feel much better about the $450 or so I paid for my Emmert Patternmaker's vise...and that DID include shipping, which is a non-trivial amount for close to 100 lbs of cast iron and steel. As a seller on Ebay...one has to LOVE collectors... Regards Dave Mundt
Reply to
Dave Mundt
Greetings and Salutations (again)
Oh yea, FWIW, apparently the new price of this puppy is EU2500...according to this cached page on google
Reply to
Dave Mundt
On 20 Feb 2004 11:58:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (sandiapaul) brought forth from the murky depths:
For that price, I'd expect a vise large enough to hold my bench in its jaws.
- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------
Website Application Programming
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Possibly there is a backlash adjustment, such as dual nuts with outside threads in both ends of a carrier, like in a Hardinge miller. Or the cheaper equivalent, a single long nut with a slot cut perpendicular to its bore which can be pried apart slightly.
It wouldn't surprise me if there was no* backlash in that vise, or if there was, that it couldn't be adjusted out.
*
"No" being a relative term, of course. :-)
Reply to
Artemia Salina
Yeah, but does it say "RONCO" underneath that spluge?
Reply to
Artemia Salina
Robin, your apprenticeship sounds a lot like mine did 30 years ago as a millwright. File and deburr till a silk stocking wouldn't snag on it. Location of worksite was Dupont yarn spinning. Everything was smooth as a baby's ass.
RJ
Reply to
Backlash
"Larry Jaques" wrote
And at least come with a well-equipped female teckkie.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB