1/3 scale cub

Hi all,

Well, it looks like I'm the proud new owner of an older 1/3 scale cub. The previous owner didn't know the make, so I posted a few pictures to see if anyone might recognize it. The plane is huge - the wingspan measures 142" with a cord of approx 21". The length is approx 88" from spinner nut to tail. We are guessing it's probably a Balsa USA or a Trillium Balsa. Nor am I sure of the make of engine.

It needs some TLC, and has it's been in storage for a couple years. Any info or specs on make, CG, control throws, flying characteristics would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I have been flying for about 10 years and have flown many different types of planes, including smaller cubs, but never a giant scale plane like this.

Thanks again, Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

Just to update my own post. One person emailed and said it's not a Balsa USA cub. (Thanks Jon) Jon also mentioned the engine appears to be a Sachs. The markings on the engine are "44", "W2", and "44 7N 18". Also, this is not the original engine.

I'm now pretty convinced the plane is built from a set of Bob Nelitz plans, which as I understand, was one of the first 1/3 scale cub designs. Just so happens, a set of the same plans is currently being auctioned on eBay. From the photos, the construction appears the same.

Again, any info or comments on this plane (or engine) is greatly appreciated.

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

Boy...

That Cub would look great with a set of 8" (24" scale) NC-numbers >

Bill Fulmer

That sure is a purty Cub you have there! I hope you have a cowl for the front! I think some N numbers on the wing would spruce it nicely! AND a 1/3 scale pilot. Only one thing purtier, a big 1/3 scale Fly Baby Biplane!

Reply to
Bob Severance

I do have the cowl, and I'll have to work on getting a scale pilot and numbers. One of our club members has a 1/3 scale Fly Baby Biplane. (Balsa USA as I recall) Great looking plane. One problem, he says he gets so nervous, he can barely control the transmitter every time he tries to fly it With any other plane, he's an excellent flyer.

Alan Harriman

Take a look at this full size cub, does it get any better?

Alan Harriman