prop and spinner choice

K guys, next question in my quest to finish this J3 Cub.

I have the OS .40 mounted. Kit calls for a .40. So what size prop and spinner?

I saw somewhere a generic chart that said .40 engine, 10x6, yes?

This will be a relaxed flyer with no attempt at aerobatics obviously. So what size prop should I use and what size spinner to spin it over?

Tnx, Mark

(Third flying lesson Sunday and it was good. I'm slowly getting the hang of it)

Reply to
Mark Tetrault

A Cub flys on the wing, not the prop. Prop it for pull, not speed, with an

11-4. Use a standard "safety hub" like the one by Higley. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Reply to
Dr1Driver

That size is typical of a 40 on a sport plane, which the cub isn't. An

11*4 would be much better for the cub. The 10*6 has too much thrust at idle (well, little braking), and will make for some awful long landing approaches. You wont notice any difference in the top speed, but your climb rate will increase dramatically.

The cub didn't have much of a spinner from the factory. Your prop nut would be more scale. But if you are looking for a spinner, I would suggest one of those rounded prop nuts. Your engine uses a 1/4 28 nut, like this

or this

John Alt