New to scale , need help with Phoenix models Corsair F4U ARF.

Hi,

Just completing this ARF Corsair (I guess you could call it semi scale). Anyone have any experience with this model? It's a .46 powered approx 1/8 scale, wing span 1.5 m.

The first question I have is concerning the control throws, they specify on hi rate:

Elevator 13mm up 16mm down Rudder 44mm left and right Ailerons 7mm up 10mm down?

I heard that it is better to have more up Aileron than down so which is correct?

There is no right or down thrust built in to the model (as far as I can see) or specified, Should I include any?

C of G is specified as 3 1/2 inches back from leading edge, would it be more stable a little nose heavy?

Any other tips?

I'm fairly new to RC flying, a few hours flight time with a trainer and an hour or two with various SPADS... How difficult do you think this Corsair will be to handle ?

Thanks in advance, Trevor.

Reply to
Bender

Hi; No expert here, but I'll take a shot...

Intuitively, I think it would require more force to lift a wing than to drop one, so I would agree with the 7 up, 10 down spec.

If it's not specified, I wouldn't put any in. If the plane tends to pitch to the left, you might put in some right thrust later. Maybe the bent wings help it track straighter? On a low-wing model, I don't think you want any down-thrust, but rather up-thrust, if anything.

Yes, though, I would make the first flights with the CG as close to the specified location as possible, but moving the CG forward is generally safer than moving it back.

Were the SPAD's some type of low-wing variety? What I did, in preparation for flying my GeeBee the first time, was invest in a low-wing foam warbird, with ailerons. I think it helped. High-wing models with dihedral tend to self-correct; low-wing models pretty much stay in the bank where you put them.

Taking off the first few times was pretty exciting! Ease the throttle on (don't go full-blast all at once) and wait for the plane's speed to kind of catch up with the prop as you advance the throttle. Use gentle rudder inputs to correct, and I found it very helpful (essential, really) to keep the elevator close to full-up to keep the tailwheel on the ground and tracking straight, until I was pretty close to takeoff speed. Once it was in the air, it was a blast!

Dan.

Reply to
BykrDan