Trim trouble

Giving away my ignorance here, but. I'm looking for help from anyone here. The saga of the Citabria continues.

It seems to be running ok now that it's fitted with a new engine. It flies ok but for a problem I hope you can help with.

I have it flying sort of level hands off at a lowish throttle setting. When I do a low pas (sort of a blown landing or go-around) the Cit seems to be yawed off to the left, probably 7-12 degrees off to the left. the wings are pretty much level. (ish, there is a fair bit of stick twiddling going on as it swishes, splutters and farts it's way past)

When I apply full power (as in to take off or airbourne silliness) it yaws left and requires a bit of right rudder to keep it on the straight and narrow.

When I trimmed it initially with the new TX I added a little up elevator a little rudder a little aileron The elevator looks level (when trimmed) looks neither up nor down. The rudder looks straight (when trimmed) neither left or right. The ailerons are distinctly up on one side.

Should I try mixing rudder with throttle? less aileron / more rudder?

erm, should it be flying along yawed to the left? any and all suggestions welcome

Reply to
Roy

Try giving it a little right thrust (the prop shaft ponting 2 degree right), that should make it better.

Reply to
GuW

Or right rudder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You need to check the incidence of each wing half. If the ailerons are not the same when trimmed for level flight, they are warped. The side with the up trim has what is called wash-in. The wing is warped with the leading edge higher at the tip than the root.

Also, did you balance the plane laterally (through the thrust line) to make sure one side isn't heavier than the other? Many planes with side mounted engines need this balance.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

What Paul and others have said.

I would check for left thrust in the engine, or a warp toward the left in the fuselage that is pulling the model to the left in the yaw axis. Right thrust is the cure for both, if present.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

In full scale Citabria it is normal, at full throtle right rudder at idle for landing left rudder. P factor has lot to do with it. Some left thrust on engine might help some. Also as the airspeed increases rudder input is less or none. John Altoona R/C Club in Pennsylvania.

Reply to
Pixiejohnl

Are you sure you don't want to rethink adding in LEFT thrust on the engine?

MJC

Reply to
MJC

On 1/6/2004 4:48 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

What everyone is saying about the right thrust is correct. The EASIEST WAY to put right thrust (or left, down etc. thrust) is go to your local hardware store. In the fastener section you will find washers. They come in a variety of thicknesses (brass, steel, fiber, nylon). Get several of each thickness so you have a variety of "angles" to choose from. Make sure you bring a bolt of the correct size with you to "size" the hole.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Reply to
strathboy

Reply to
strathboy

Sory for the mistake in typing. Left thrust should read right thrust lookin from tail forward. John Altoona R/C club in Pensylvania.

Reply to
Pixiejohnl

Yawing left when adding power is perfectly normal and is controlled by using right rudder. Get used to it. Adding right thrust might make things easier at first, but then you have to deal with a right-yawing tendency in cruise, and screwed-up aerobatic behavior. As I've said before, there are four forces that yaw the airplane left. P-factor, or the higher angle of attack of the downgoing blade when the nose is well up at low speed, will pull the nose left since the centre of thrust is off to the right a bit. The rotating slipstream off the prop will strike the fin on the left and push tail right, nose left. Gyroscopic propeller forces will pull the nose left as the tail comes up on takeoff, and the torque reaction on the fuselage will put more weight on the left wheel on takeoff and increase drag on that side. The first two forces are strong and are what the original poster is dealing with.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas