FMS and model flight characteristics

Howdy all,

The recent post on the GWS Slow-Stick got me wondering......................just how realistic are the model flight characteristics within FMS? I've never flown any of the planes available with the FMS download or a few add-ons I have d/l'ed from other locations so I can't comment either way...............but I'm hoping someone on here might.

I'm in the market for a slow and low electric park flyer and realy enjoy flying the Parkzone Slo-V(8) on FMS. Is this anywhere close to what it flies like in "real life?" The GWS Slow-Stick on the other hand flies like a piece of trash on FMS and am wondering the same thing about it's real-life flying characteristics matching up to the FMS model.

TIA,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

FMS is a free software product, and it's worth every penny that you pay for it.

Bottom line? The quality of the flying characteristics vary considerably from model to model, and I wouldn't put too much stock in any of the FMS models' performances.

I downloaded a Thunder Tiger Tiger Trainer 40 model that looks nice and is fun to fly. The problem is, if you just max out the throttle and take off, you never have to touch the controls again. The plane will just continue to climb out on a straight upward path until it disappears. I haven't flown too many real trainers that don't have to be flown by the pilot at some point.

FMS is a nice piece of development in the freeware community and it's good for learning control orientation or just keeping yourself amused when it's raining and you can't fly. It's a long way from matching the more realistic physics of Real Flight G3, which itself is a long way from perfect.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Hi Doc-

First, I have never used FMS, so I can't directly answer your question. That notwithstanding, I suspect what you really want is a low stress model that is easy to stay ahead of and survivable, but has the potential to stay interesting as your skills develop. If so, check out the Multiplex EasyStar. Very durable, it survives most encounters with the ground unscathed, but would get dinged on contact with a fence or pole. Easiest trainer I've found yet, but fun for experienced modelers too. It will slope soar in light lift, and thermal too. It's become an icon at a local club where I fly, with newbies and the most experienced modelers alike. The latter tend to overpower it with 'too much is just right' LiPo battery packs, but the airframe just eats it up, though the $3-4 motor may be stressed to the limit and beyond. It's a gas to see it doing things it was never intended for - like extended inverted flight and outside loops.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

You hit the nail on the head Abel. I'm an avid Nitro R/C land vehicle junkie/racer (1/8 Monster Truck and 1/8 Stadium Truck classes) and am tempted to bridge into R/C flight. I want something "relaxing" to fly as the land vehix are plenty nerve racking; I see a slow EP plane as a chance to try out R/C flight in a calm, relaxing manner to see if I want to progress further in flight or just stick with the land vehix.

My general modeling skills are excellent as nitro land vehix are generally

60% wrenching and 40% driving, but my experience with flying models is nil. "Dihedral? What did I do to deserve being called a name!" ;-) I can handle the nitro trainers and the nitro bipe in FMS without difficulty (warbirds are still a bit challenging) and I've been into PC flight sims for years, so I have some knowledge of flight basics. I'm thinking I could probably handle a slow EP plane in a wide open farm field solo. A flight instructor and a 40-sized trainer would be ideal but there aren't any AMA clubs (or unchartered clubs for that matter) nearby.

Just lurking around on here y'all seem to be much more civilized and educated than the land vehicle folks. It's nice to see multisyllabic words being used conversationally for a change!

Best Regards,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

| I downloaded a Thunder Tiger Tiger Trainer 40 model that looks nice and is | fun to fly. The problem is, if you just max out the throttle and take off, | you never have to touch the controls again. The plane will just continue to | climb out on a straight upward path until it disappears.

To be fair, that's how a properly trimmed trainer _should_ fly, even in the real world. That's what stable means -- that small pertubations (like turbulence) will be compensated for.

| I haven't flown too many real trainers that don't have to be flown | by the pilot at some point.

Well, a real trainer should approximate that behavior, but of course you're not going to let it fly off into the horizon.

In any event, FMS doesn't model things like turbulence, and your planes are always in perfect trim. Not unusual for a simulator at all, but it's not really a big deal either, since you're mostly working to learn perspective and such.

| FMS is a nice piece of development in the freeware community and | it's good for learning control orientation or just keeping yourself | amused when it's raining and you can't fly. It's a long way from | matching the more realistic physics of Real Flight G3, which itself | is a long way from perfect.

Haven't played with G3, but G2 still gave you perfectly trimmed planes, and I doubt G3 is different.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I have been able to get models to behave better on FMS than the way they came. FMS lets you set the model's characteristics to some extent, and I think that there isn't always a lot of time spent on making it right.

One of these days I may even figure it out, but the effort will have to start with getting someone to tell me what those dang numbers are supposed to be!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Hi All,

A question I have on the Slow V models is regarding the rudder difference between v7 and v8. V7 uses (Mode 1) rudder left stick and v8 uses rudder (or is it aileron, Mode 1) on the right stick with the throttle. I guess the basic question is why. I find the v8 a lot harder to fly as I've just got the grey matter to use the left stick for rudder without to much thought.

On the subject of realism, I've been enjoying flying the Slow V 7 on FMS. It is easy to fly and I was hoping my Beaver might be that easy when I actually get to fly it. Does anyone know of a Beaver for FMS. Not being an experienced pilot and having used the MS flight sim before which was a typical MS type product I think FMS is great fun and does give you a feel for using the TX if nothing else.

regards,

Neil. regards,

Neil

Reply to
neilmny

Abel Pranger wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Okay - I *have* fooled around with FMS, and I'll concur with the other posters that it's a good program for getting your orientation straight, etc. Not it the same league of realism as AeroFly or some of the others, but for freeware, I'm very impressed. In general, I thought FMS was harder to fly than the real models. Haven't tried the Slo-V on it, though.

As for the Easy Star mentioned above - I agree that it's one of the easiest-flying airplanes I've ever met, and it's durable and quick building etc. My only complaint about it, for a beginner, is that it's such a good glider that it's difficult for a beginner to land.

That's certainly not a problem for a Slow Stick or Slo-V.

The Easy-Star, Slow Stick and Slo-V are all very good beginners' planes. If I had only one of the 3, I'd pick the Easy-Star, but then, I'm not an inexperienced pilot. And even for an inexperienced pilot - if you have a lot of space around, and don't mind walking a bit to retrieve your plane after it lands, I'd still vote Easy-Star. Otherwise, I'd say either of the others.

Reply to
Mark Miller

I have not used FMS for over a year.... are there new planes available, or new scenery..?

Reply to
happy-guy

Hi Tim,

Big here here on that Ive looked at the parameters but what do they mean??????????????

regards, Neil.

regards,

Neil

Reply to
neilmny

..............that FMS or any flight sim for that matter is most useful for orientation and getting used to the tx, and is useful to a lesser extent per way of learning to fly. I just realized I had my controls mapped backwards (elevator/aileron on left stick and rudder/throttle on right stick) so I've got them set up correctly now and have to get used to that all over again. Doh!

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions. Will keep you posted as to what I get and how I do on my first flight. Might not be till' spring as the prospect of freezing my a** off while desperately trying not to crash isn't my idea of a good time!

Best Regards,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

realy

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

| Doc, you ought to be in Texas. We fly year 'round.

What he said!

(Though, really, during the summer, it's too hot to fly. Of course, we still do, but it's still too hot.)

But for now, it's nice. Right now, it's about 80 degrees out and sunny. It's a tad windy (12 mph or so) but there just happens to be a new dam that people found up in Georgetown that's good to slope off of ...

If only I didn't have to work and watch the kids today ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

I'm very fond of FMS, and I use it a lot especially in the winter. Unfortunately it isn't a truly plug and play piece of software and requires some effort on the part of the user.

The first problem is finding a particular model you might want to fly. If you can't find one that is already written, you have to use the specialized software, there are links on the FMS site, to make your own. This isn't a simple process, and it requires a fair amount of information to create a properly flying model. This is where the rub is. You can find several versions of the same model, but they likely won't fly the same due to being written by different authors. If you want a model to perform correctly, you'll probably have to build it yourself.

The second problem is that FMS isn't supported by a staff of programmers. Any updates to FMS, like new versions, aren't likely to come along too frequently. However, I can say the latest version is quite adequate.

Next, if you have any problems, of any kind, the best you'll be able to do is ask your question at one of the forums at the site. The likelihood of getting a good answer is slim to none!

Finally, there are many ways to interface the program. This will become quite evident is you notice the names of the various forums. I ended up designing my own interface, and I have a couple of posts that describe it:

Oh the Joy! More Joy!

If you're interested in a very good and simple USB 3-axis interface, I can sell you a new CH products controller.

Incidentally, I found exactly the model that I fly, the H9 Ultra Stick

40, already written. It performs identically to the actual model, so I didn't have to create one. I would recommend it. One last item is that any model needs to be trimmed out just like you would have to do if you had a new model at the flying field.

In summary, FMS is an excellent flight simulator that require a bit of thought on the part of the user. Anyone who complains about it probably wants a video game.

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

Doc-

In the US, most of us use Mode 2 - throttle and rudder on left, elevator and aileron on the right. A common variation when flying models without ailerons is to assign rudder to the right stick, in place of ailerons. All it takes when you set up a real model is to plug the rudder servo into the aileron slot on the Rx - usually Ch 1.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Do you happen to have a list of sites with models? Or search terms that actually work? I've looked around a bit and haven't found much -- but then I'm having fun with the models that came with the distribution, for now.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Thanks for the open invitation. If I'm ever in Texas I just might swing on by!

Doc

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Reply to
"Doc"

Here's where I've found quite a few good ones:

Ahhh heck, I had about three other links saved in my favorites and all of em' are dead now. Doh!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

""Doc"" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

I had never flown a plane and built the GWS tigermoth, Then I practiced flying this plane on FMS for quite a few hours. The first time I threw my Moth into the air and flew it for real , it was as if I was behind my PC. No problem at all. With no help or instruction, thanks to FMS, I became a RC pilot

Pablo

Reply to
Pablo

Congratulations Pablo - Sims do work ;)