Remote Control

I have a Tower Hobbies Tower Trainer 40 MKII 4-Channel RTF 62". I just put it together and then was testing how it responds to the remote control. When I push up on the right control stick the rudder moves and when I push sideways on the left control stick the elevator moves. How can I fix this? The manual didn't say.

Reply to
Chewbacca007

You have the servos plugged into the wrong channels on the recvr.

Reply to
tailfeathers

You have the servos plugged into the wrong slots in the receiver. The ailerons are channel 1, elevator channnel 2, throttle channel 3, rudder channel 4. Right aileron should move upwards, left downwards when the right stick is moved right and vice versa. Elevator should move up when the right stick is pulled down, down when pushed up. Throttle depends on your engine and how its mounted, but should open when the left stick is pushed up and close when the left stick is all the way down. Rudder is left when left stick is left and right when right. I seriously hope you have somebody available to trim out the plane and adjust the throttle properly along with teaching you to fly. Your entrance into the hobby might be about to end abruptly... Honestly, it is VERY difficult to teach yourself to fly. It can be done, but you will go thru quite a lot of balsa, sweat and tears before it happens. Been there, done that.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Sure hope you go out and find an instructor..

Reply to
SKYLANE42

Normally, that would be because the servos are plugged into the wrong ports on the receiver. Most receivers (IIRC) are:

1: aileron 2: elevator 3: throttle 4: rudder

Check the manual that came with the radio to make sure.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The wires are switched around on the servos, how do I switch the wires around so that the elevator and rudder arn't reversed?

Reply to
Chewbacca007

Are you saying that the control stick that should operate the rudder is actually operating the elevator, or that when you provide an elevator-up command on the transmitter, you actually get elevator down on the plane?

If the former, you've got the line to the elevator servo plugged in to the receiver in the jack designated for the rudder. Unplug it and plug it into the correct jack.

If the latter, check with the transmitter manual for a feature called "Servo Reversal" and reverse the servos that are operating in the wrong direction.

Did the plane and radio come with any literature or instructions?

Reply to
Mark Hansen

Ya gotta 'member that JR is different ! ! !

David

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 04:16:51 GMT, "Fubar of The HillPeople" wrote: snip

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

JR:

1 = Throttle 2 = Aileron 3 = Elevator 4 = Rudder

Others, I think:

1 = Aileron 2 = Elevator 3 = Throttle 4 = Rudder

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The RTF version of the Tower Trainer comes with a Tower (rebadged Futaba) radio system.

I'd guess the factory plugged the servos into the wrong channel, and the manual probably doesn't mention the channel numbers since it is, after all, "ready to fly" as soon as you open the box.

Chewbacca, plug in the servos as mentioned by Fubar. Then, if any channels work backwards, flip the 'servo reversing' switches for the channels that are wrong. Looking at the photo to the Tower web site, it appears that the switches are on the front of the transmitter, under the "System 3000" logo.

Carrell

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 04:16:51 GMT, "Fubar of The HillPeople" wrote: snip

====== original post in this thread ===========

Reply to
Carrell

Reply to
Mike Gordon
070507070602010802020706
Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

HOW do I go about fixing this problem? Can I get some instructions because I don't want to ruin my plane that cost me a lot of money.

Reply to
Chewbacca007

| HOW do I go about fixing this problem? Can I get some instructions | because I don't want to ruin my plane that cost me a lot of money.

Get an instructor.

Seriously, get some help. Somebody with experience with R/C planes. If you have never flown one before, you're likely to turn this one into a pile of balsa wood splinters within 30 seconds of taking off.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Wow thanks for your help... I figured it out myself, there probably isn't an instructer around for hundreds of miles

Reply to
Chewbacca007

Where do you live, in Siberia? It is hard to imagine an area like that in the US.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Death valley?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| Wow thanks for your help...

Sarcasm?

| I figured it out myself, there probably isn't an instructer around | for hundreds of miles

Seriously, get some in-person help. It doesn't have to be somebody who calls themself an instructor, you don't need a buddy box (but it would be a good idea), but do get some help from somebody who has some experience with glow powered R/C planes. Even a few minutes of help from them will greatly increase your chance of success.

You've found (and corected, hopefully) one of several dozen little things that could make your plane unflyable. It's almost impossible to get one of these glow planes ready to fly when you've never flown one before -- you just don't know what to check. Have you broken in your engine? (If you don't, you may ruin it!)

And even then, assuming that everything is installed, adjusted and trimmed properly, the odds of somebody who has never flown an R/C plane (even somebody who has a pilot's license) taking off and landing successfully is almost nil.

The small park fliers fare a good deal better -- the electric motors are less tricky to get running, they fly slower and are likely to survive a crash, but this plane (0.40 sized, glow powered) flies a lot faster and is a lot more fragile. Even a hard landing will do damage, and a good crash is likely to destroy the airframe.

Not only is it fast, it's heavy, with a big metal thing up front. If it hits something or somebody, it's going to do some real damage. People get killed by these things.

If you do decide to fly it by yourself, with no sort of experienced help, make sure you do it out in the middle of nowhere, with nobody around. It's not generally wise to fly by yourself, so have a friend with you, but have him seek cover. Don't have any other spectators.

And if possible, have him have a video camera to record your first flight -- crash videos are quite popular.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Death Valley has several substantial cities within 100 miles. Like Las Vegas, Ridgcrest, Lone Pine, Mammouth Lakes.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

First, if you find an experienced R/C'er, don't call it REMOTE control! Call it RADIO control! Just an old sensitivity of mine. I remember as a kid that remote control was a toy car with a wire running out it's end to a box you held in your hand!

Reply to
jeboba