old engine

Found my old engine (1950) in attic trunk. Arden engine with champ spark plug. What should I do to fire it up and will it run on glow ? Thanks Bob Hagstrom

Reply to
Robert Hagstrom

I recommend you clean it and put it on a real nice display stand with a wooden prop. It's an antique and may have some value to collectors. Treasure it!

I was born in 1952 and have never run an antique gasoline engine. I suspect it was designed for gas, not methanol. The carb design and perhaps the compression are probably wrong for methanol and glo-plugs.

There is an old-timers association that might help you run the engine safely and mate it to an antique design--free flight or RC.

If you want to fly new designs, there are lots of cheapt (under $100) engines designed for glo plugs and alcohol-based fuel that provide good power at reasonable cost. Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

1950 Arden??

That could be a Champion Glow Plug so maybe you might check it out. Ray Arden maker of Arden engines designed the glow-plugs in '47. Champion was producing their clow plugs before 1950. I used them for many years in CL/FF until they stopped making them. TChampion's ceramic insulators would not withstand the newer and hotter engines coming into play by 1957 such as OS and K&B.

Does your engine have points and the original gas tank. If the plug is a true spark plug, and the points and tank are intact, you can get plenty bucks for it to buy a couple engines of today's technology. If a .19, I know for certain you have a market (;-))

Reply to
CainHD