Thumbs vs. Fingers

I learned to fly mode 2 many years ago using thumbs only on the sticks which I suspect is the technique employed by most flyers. However, I'm now considering switching to the index finger and thumb method which requires a Tx tray. I've tried it with a Tx strap but didn't feel comfortable. It seems to be a more precise method of control but I'm not sure the old dog can learn a new trick. Comments and opinions would be of interest.

Reply to
strathboy

I fly with thump and index finger and have never used a tray or a strap. I hold the transmitter with the other three fingers of my hands.

Reply to
Marvin

I'd say go with what feels more comfortable for you. Unless you're into competition, I don't see where one has a significant advantage over the other. Except maybe comfort. I've tried both and although I can see where the thumb and finger might provide more precise control, I'm more comfortable with just a thumb. And few can land as smoothly as I can so I figure I've found my method.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Some will say that thumb and finger give better control but I have seen champions flying using both techniques. Unless you have some overriding reason to change, I wouldn't.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The old thumbs vs. pinch debate. Heli flyers ponder the same thing. The pinch is better for small, precise movements such as while hovering. 3D requires large, fast excursions, which works well for thumbs but are whole-arm affairs while pinching. I skirt the issue by doing whichever feels more comfortable at the moment. Hovering thumbs-only isn't much less precise or comfortable, and it isn't difficult to thrash with the upper arms involved. You don't need a tray, but a stabilizing cage makes it easier to handle the transmitter on the strap. Planks aren't much different in this regard, except the large control movements are for hovering, and versa vice. Whichever and whatever works for you...

Reply to
Boat

I pinch on the right and thumb on the left! Anyone else? I fly all maners of planes from 200+MPH race planes to indoor and helies. Although I think that 3 dee would be best done thunbs only from what i have seen. Sparky

Reply to
Elmshoot

I changed over from 'thumbs' to 'pinch - with a TX tray' when learning to fly helicopters. I later tried the tray with my fixed wing models and found it awful. However, some time later when flying large and scale models that required a nicely co-ordinated rudder input for turns, I went back to the tray and tried harder, That was several years ago and now, although the thumbs method is still easy, I rarely fly without a tray and hold BOTH sticks between my thumb and first two fingers. I find this a much better method for precise control, ssssssllllloooooowwww rolls or hesitation rolls are so much better .

It is a matter of personal preference as so many others have said, I would just add that, if you decide to try, expect it to feel completely cack handed to begin with. Give it a fair trial before making a final decision. Stu K

Reply to
stuart knowles

Your only problem is that you learned one way and now want to go another way. I also learned to fly by thumb because no one else ever told me different. However, I started noticing that others used the thumb/index finger style so I tried it myself, and boy, what a difference! Yes, it felt a little strange for a while (only because it was different from what I was used to), but I instantly saw how my flying smoothed out and I became more precise in my manuevers. In short, it made me better. I now fly with that way only, and it's very comfortable to do with a neck strap because what I do is to hook the other three fingers of each hand behind the TX to steady it and I have full control. In fact, when I teach the more advanced students that don't need a buddy cord any more, I still fly that way when we have to hand the TX back and forth and I continue to feel that I have full control. For anyone who flies with thumbs only, try using the two fingers on each stick and you'll find that it makes you a better pilot.

MJC

"strathboy" wrote in message news:J_idnbV8huEEJ- snipped-for-privacy@golden.net...

Reply to
MJC

I don't use either method to fly, I hold the radio cradled in my left hand, and use my thumb and two fingers on the right hand to fly, of course I'm using a modified single stick radio to fly, that case of a old Kraft, with the guts of a newer Hitec comp radio in it :o)

Reply to
Robert Williams

Me too. For me, precise control matters most on the primary flight surfaces. Using only the thumb on my left hand helps stabilize the controller when using a neck strap. But then, I'm a lousy pilot, so it probably doesn't matter much :-)

Jim - AMA 501383

Elmshoot wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones

Kinda like trying to relearn the "correct" golf grip. mk

Reply to
MK

I use finger/thumb pinch and don't use a strap or tray. I hold the TX with the last two fingers( pinky and ring) , have the middle finger over the top for flipping switches and the index finger and thumb for flying. Sometimes I use my thumb only on the left stick and only use the index finger for pushing the throttle down quickly. It just depends on what and how I am flying as well as the mood I am in when flying. Works great for me but probably looks pretty wierd to anyone watching me!

Davod

Reply to
David Morris

David Morris wrote in

I have to admit I get better control with finger thumb, but because I'm used to flying with my thumbs, that's how I do it unless I make a conscious effort.

The only exception is when I fly a Parkflyer with a Hitec Feather receiver. Then I've found that it's just as effective to simply shout instructions at the plane - "Left! LEFT! No, turn LEFT! And get the nose up! Noooo . . ."

Reply to
Mark Miller

I've always used the thumbs also,but if I thought using the thumb and another finger would cause three point landings consistently I'd change. Otherwise I'm set in my ways and don't want to change.

Reply to
TX_QBALL

I have always used "Thumb & Finger" never used a tray or strap. Much more precise feel that way. But then as I love realism I also made a point early on to learn to use coordinated Aileron/Rudder using the sticks and not buttons or mixing.

Denis Winters <

Reply to
Denis Winters

You know I have the Hitec Feather receiver and I never, never ,never HAD a problem with it. Why is it that the reciever gets such a bad rep????

Mike

And to be on topic..... I fly with thumb and pointer finger.........

Reply to
Mike R

They seem to get hit more often than the GWS RXs at my field, and cost more to boot.

PCPhill

And also to be on topic, thumbs only....

Reply to
PCPhill

Because it was FUNNY. For a brief while, my TV was similarly voice activated. My teenager kept misplacing the remote. I made it a point to channel surf on those days. He eventually got the message.

Reply to
Boat

I started out using both thumbs and fingers, never used a tray or strap. I do it both way now depending on how the spirit moves me. The problem I've encountered is that when using both thumb and index finger on the sticks, I'll sometimes get unwanted rudder or aileron movement when pulling back on the elevator or throttle stick. This seems to be minimized when using thumbs only.

CR

strathboy wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Can you say quality gimbals, smooth disciplined input supplemented by a modicum of expo?

Reply to
a.sharon