Remote Control

Wondering if anyone has ever built a simple remote control ignition
system. This would be really simple to do. Just hook a make or break
connection between a battery and the wires going to your igniter across
a mechanical servo and when it moves the wires together, whoosh. The
servo could be any cheap airplane type with a cheap receiver on it.
Then you could trigger your rocket from say 1000 feet away or something
and see it go skyward. I've been wanting to do this. One caveat is
that the receiver should be FM and NOT on 27 mhz so to be more immune to
interference and likewise you should have the battery connection point
at least 15 feet away as with a normal estes controller launch. That
way if the servo prematurely fires you aren't too close to the thing
when it goes off. I'd love to do this so I could get good video of my
stuff going up by using a tripod etc and the video camera. I could just
reach over and push the 'throttle' control on a model airplane
transmitter and away it goes!!
Reply to
Dan
dan;
like this:
shockie B)
Reply to
shockwaveriderz
Their idea seems to use it for manual override if you ejection system doesn't work etc They don't seem to think it can handle enough current for a main engine ignition except I think they are referring to 'really' big rockets not small estes stuff so it would probably work fine. I've got to figure out how much current a typical solar igniter requires,, I might have a receiver that I could just tie directly to one of them isntead of using the mechanical servo as a switch.
Reply to
Dan
[...]
GCGassaway
Not sure if you're talking about ground support equipment or RC firing of a second stage. Both have been done.
The neatest RC launch system I ever saw is one NCR prototyped just before they got assimilated by Estes. It used off the shelf 12v car alarm electronics. The TX is already well encoded to prevent false triggering. And the base unit is designed to work on the same 12V power we have on the rocket field. Range certainly wasn't 1000', but was probably a good 50'.
As to RC ignition, John Kallend's LadyHawk is a 2 motor model. He fires the first one on the ground via a normal launcher to boost the model, then ignites the second motor while gliding for more boost, or perhaps a powered loop. IIRC he does use the throttle function for this, but I think he's got electronics rather than a servo pushing a firing button.
Folks have also done RC ejection, both for scale models and HPR. Someone (was it Doug Pratt?) used to sell a system for this purpose.
But as others have said, realize that our rockets can fly a LOT higher and/or farther than conventional RC systems are work at.
Bob Kaplow
I was working on designing a remote car starter into a launch controller. Didn't finish though. I wanted to use the starting feature for ignition, but the darn thing is looking for too many different input signals for me to fool. But I could have just used the power door locks to trigger launch relays, and it's supposed to operate from distances of 1200 to 1500 feet. I know that the starter in my car will operate from a distance of a full city block.
Kevin Rezac
Reply to
Kevin Rezac
"city block" = 660' Still, that's probably enough range for most of us.
Bob Kaplow
city block actually is. It helps me to sleep easier at night :)
Reply to
Dan