Universal remote control? Why doesn't my RCA one work?

I recently bought an RCA RCU410MS universal remote control. When I set it up with the recommended code, my 20+ year old Mitsubishi TV's channel pilot
light blinks, but there is no other action. It is such a fine set, that I am only now thinking of a possible replacement. I also went through the entire set of codes, getting blinks now and then, but no transition. The remote control works sort of with another set when I go through the whole set of codes, but not with the codes recommended.
I have Sony remote control with the listed code that worked just fine but has now failed. Its failure seems to come from a bad connection between the battery and the control's innards.
I remember having a similar problem with another remote control that came with a VCR. I couldn't use the control to operate my TV even in an incremental mode. I also got blinks.
Have the standards for energizing TV's changed over the years? Is it possible that longer pulses are needed? Is there a decent site that explains how these controls work?
Bill
Try these
http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/irremote.html http://www.evation.com / http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml