Help with Breakers

Please forgive my terminology, I am trying to install a hot tub I have a separate (ready to install) spa panel near the tub that contains a

50 amp GFCI to which I am trying to connect to my main panel (a Cutler Hammer with 8 breakers inside) all the spaces are full and here is the inventory: 2 one inch 50amp for the stove, 2 one inch 45 amp for the AC, 2 one inch 30 amp which are for the water heater, 2 one inch 60 amp which are for the sub panel 2 one inch 30 amp for the dryer 2 one inch 60 amp for the furnace. Each pair is "connected" via a bar over the switches, I attempted to replace the 2 30amp one inch breakers with a single one inch breaker with 2 switches. It worked but the dryer would not heat. The sub panel is too far away to run a line from it to the spa. I would rather not replace the panel if there is a way around it. Please help if you can Cheers Gil gil @ austin. rr .com
Reply to
a guy

The single wide, double breaker only provides one phase two times so the heat won't go. Get another "double up" breaker and make 4 singles into 2 doubles. That will free up a double slot for the GFCI.

Reply to
Greg

Greg thanks for you response but I am confused, won't the 2 double up breakers take up the same space as the 2 singles ? Physically they appear to be the same size (just one has 2 switches on it). Unless there are other types? I will still need to free up enough space to get a big enough breaker to supply the 50 amp spa panel.

Reply to
a guy

If you put in 2 double ups, replacing 4 single pole breakers you will get 2 free slots which should be enough for a double pole GFCI.

You can't use a double up to replace a 2 pole.

Reply to
Greg

Gill Does that main panel have a main breaker in addition to the two pole breakers you have described? What model number of cutler hammer panel is it? Answer these questions and I can tell you how to proceed.

-- Tom H

Reply to
Tom Horne

12 spaces, seems a bit small and old. I am not sure that CH now Eaton Electric makes a "double up" breaker. There was a lot of UL issues with those a while back and I have not seen a new one for years. Best check with a qualified electrical contractor for assistance.
Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
justanother

Reply to
justanother

do you have just 12 spaces in the panel? My home was built in 1999 and it has 30 spaces. A lot of residential panels are 42 space

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
justanother

Sounds like you are in over your head. I suggest you call a qualified electrician to do the work for you. You may burn your house down if you are not careful.

50 amp GFCI to which I am trying to connect to my main panel (a Cutler Hammer with 8 breakers inside) all the spaces are full and here is the inventory: 2 one inch 50amp for the stove, 2 one inch 45 amp for the AC, 2 one inch 30 amp which are for the water heater, 2 one inch 60 amp which are for the sub panel 2 one inch 30 amp for the dryer 2 one inch 60 amp for the furnace. Each pair is "connected" via a bar over the switches, I attempted to replace the 2 30amp one inch breakers with a single one inch breaker with 2 switches. It worked but the dryer would not heat. The sub panel is too far away to run a line from it to the spa. I would rather not replace the panel if there is a way around it. Please help if you can Cheers Gil gil @ austin. rr .com
Reply to
Me

You are fortunate that you have a BR type panel. Home Depot carries Cutler Hammer BR type breakers. These are the only ones I've seen on their shelves that have dual double pole breakers (two separate double pole breakers in a 2" wide breaker and two separate "bars") . You need to see which combinations they sell and find one that will replace two of your existing double pole breakers (preferably adjacent ones so the wires will maybe reach). I think I've seen dual double pole 30/20,

50/30, 20/20, and a few others. I don't like the feel of these breakers, but this is your only choice unless you want to place another subpanel right next to your main panel and move one circuit into it.

Also, be sure your panel is rated for the twin type breakers. Typically they are, but not always. If it says "12 slot 24 circuit", then the twin breakers are OK.

The breaker you used originally was a twin single pole breaker. This will not make 240V, only two eparate 120V loads, and all the breakers in your panel are the double pole 240V type.

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

| The breaker you used originally was a twin single pole breaker. This will not make 240V, only two | eparate 120V loads, and all the breakers in your panel are the double pole

240V type.

If the wiring from such a breaker uses a "shared neutral", and the loads work at 120 volts by being attached to either one or the other pole (as opposed to work at 240 volts be being attached to both poles and not the neutral), then you have a dangerous situation! This can result in TWICE the expected current on the neutral wire, which is not measured as part of the breaker's job to detect overcurrent (except maybe AFCI and/or GFCI breakers, but I don't have enough information on their design to be sure).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam