Heidenhain TNC426 on Anayak

Does anyone know if there is a parameter setting for CYCLE 213 (stud finishing) to reduce the lead-in distance (away from the stud) ? The tool enters about an 1" away & will hit other contours close by. I've looked in the manuals, but not much besides an explanation saying the TNC426 automatically pre positions the tool. This cycle must have been an update in software. Its not even listed in the main manual.

Thx

cncmillgil

I never use that cycle mostly because you have no control over things like approach and depart. It is so easy to make your own toolpath for that that you are not saving any time. If you are repeating the same thing more that once just make it in incremental in a separate program and call it with M99 just like drilling. Jerry

Thx

Jerry

Looks like not many have experienced the POWER of Heidenhain? This old SOB is way ahead of Fanuc/Semens/GE/DynaPath IMO. Don't know what the new ones are like, but this control is a CNC machinist's dream.

6 power feed buttons- no switching the one selector axis & increment button. The feed rate(variable knob) is constantly displaced on the screen, even when its just sitting there. Oh no feed hold button for automatic run! Turn the knob down & its in feed hold. The spindle orientation -in degrees- is also always displayed on the screen. Even power on - start-up is the fastest I've ever seen! 30sec's I'm running the same program as the day before. With glass scales on the machine tool, this baby is accurate. Take away Hurco's DXF & Heidie's got it beat. Even some 3D stuff its better than Hurc-n-ater. Its pre defined cycles, like 213 are kinda quirky, but they do work with very minimal info input.(me like) FYI I put in a small CREM to do a top edge & it leads in/out close to the part. But the 1/2" tool leads in/out about 1" away? Same program- just different tool.

cncmillgil

That's one view of the Heidi's. From an nc programmers point of view (offline), unless your shop is full of them controls, they can be a pain. It's the most difficult post processor I've done to date (of course no heidi training). The header and initialization codes are usually a print a full page before you even get to a linear move. That's why most shops that have them purchase Camplete with the machine tool for posting. But ya, I guess if your programming at the machine - it's a nice conversational control.

-- Bill

Reply to
BillT

BillT wrote:

Hmmm interesting. I'm was, for many years, an off line programmer. Not many conversational machines in the mold biz. Thus g-code was king & Cimatron (of course) to feed those hungry mills 3D code.

Back on the floor now days & removed for that vicious trade(thank god) Its kinda nice making chips fly instead of simulating it on the screen. By what I'm seeing, being self taught & getting help in this group from Jerry on the conversational end. Heidie's ISO code is fairly straight forward & similar to most other controls I've seen. Taking a cursory look at the manuals, it does have some specialty g & m codes. No one in our shop has ever used the ISO programing. I needed to tap quite a few holes & the conversational end would not do it with out some machine builder option? So I popped into ISO, opened the manual, typed in the few lines of code. The G84 line promps you with all the options- rapid plane speed feed dwell- done. After that line, its x y m99 & tap away jose! I did'nt need the " full page of header & init. codes" you are referring to. Heide does need a "stock def" line. IE G30xyz- G31xyz for its high tech graphics. Maybe the newer controls need more than that? The ol TNC 426(hemi) was top of the line in 99 ya know. I enjoy making "old iron" run & doing things that have not been tried. I had a similar task back in the late 90s with a 85ish Mitsubishi v55 M2a(dog) control. The machine tool itself- 50taper 30hp. was nice, but it sat in the corner with out much use- too hard to program, its strong point was macro programming, which was not my cup of tea. After a month of head pownding to figure out its idiosyncrasies, a preditor BTR board, a post processor for Cimatron, It turned it into a nice "mold base" machine.

One of these days I have a dream to write some "Q" programs for it. Anyone familiar with that? By what I interpret, its Hedie's macro type language for making "family of parts" programs. Looks like it has full use of all trig functions. Brings back memory's from my old BASIC days to generate g- code(before graphical interfaces)wysiwyg

Reply to
cncmillgil

We were doing impeller machining. All of the sample code we got from the Hermle applications guys (Hermle c30 w/ iTNC 530 control) was in conversational output from Camplete which came with the machine. My first NX post was ISO and it did work. I even built up a Machine Simulation in NX as well for running that code. That was sweet!

But... the floor folks were using the conversational so they "demanded" I post that (you know programmers know nothing about machining). Also, all the tool probing and checking was done in conversational. So, I just output a generic CL file and they posted it. If there were problems, it was hard to diagnose using this process. Much prefer me posting from NX.

-- Bill

Reply to
BillT