Help with control

I have been practicing with a computer RC flight simulator, but still can't seem to get the hang of rolling the correct direction when the plane is coming at me. I just cant think backwards. What is your method? I was thinking of trying the "look over the shoulder" method.

Larry

Reply to
BillyBob

Practice, after awhile it'll work. You have to think from the planes perspective. If your are near central Texas I'll put you on a buddy box with my plane. It helps very much. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Here is what I used to learn aileron reversal back before computer sims.

The easiest thing to do is to face the direction that the model is flying in and then look over your shoulder. That was suggested by some older modelers and it works - after a fashion.

The technique that I came up with is to just face the model as it approaches and push the aileron control in the direction of the down wing. It will automatically roll in the correct direction if you do. This works whether upright or inverted.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

If you can, the best method is to imagine yourself sitting inside the plane. Once you master that, every orientation problem goes away. Inverted, incoming, sideways: All the same.

It works for some, but it looks funny and it slows you down. Imagine doing a lomcevak: You'd break your back :-)

Reply to
Robert Roland

If the plane is coming toward you, push the stick toward the low wing (and stay away from those 3D planes until you get the hang of it!). You'll look more cool and professional, and you'll have less to unlearn when you get proficient enough to automatically correct for the aircraft's attitude.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Reply to
Peter Baylinson

You didn't mention if you use a flight sim with an actual R/C transmitter (or a sim-specific version of one) or if you use a PC joystick or even the keyboard :)

There's a few things that might help with practicing on a sim:

- Make sure you use a controller thats reasonably close to the "real thing", i.e. presuming you're in the US, you should have dual analog sticks (actual R/C transmitter preferred), properly set to mode 1 or 2 depending on your preference.

- Practice with a slow flying trainer. I know they're boring, but they're much easier to fly.

- Try not to get fancy. Take off, fly lazy circles, try to keep the plane in front of you (i.e. don't fly behind the flight line). Forget landing at first, just get a feel for the plane. Doing fly-bys seems easier for most people than outright dealing with nose-in flying.

- Once you are comfy to fly around, start touch-and-gos, practice landing, takeoff, landing, takeoff... find out which direction you're more comfy with (landing/takeoff from the left or from the right) and practice some takeoff & landing from the opposite direction.

For some relaxation you can always whip out a more "fun" plane and toss it around in the sim. But the basics are what keeps the repair bill down.

A somewhat better alternative is to find someone who's qualified to give flying lessons on a buddy box. I did learn on a sim though and it worked just fine. Other than teeth chattering, sweat dripping and an urgent need to visit a restroom the first flight went without incident. ;)

Jen

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

Just keep at it.

Hours and hours.

Whatever you THINK is in the end irrelevant..you just need to burn the reflexes in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"BillyBob" wrote

I keep my perspective in the cockpit, all the time. As I make a turn, I think, "turn right, more right, less right, more right more right, less right, less right, level out."

You get the idea, I think. Talk to yourself and respond with the sticks, all the time thinking about what you started, and what you need to do to keep the turn going like you want it, and you will never have to think about over the shoulder, stick to the high side, or any other of the tricks.

It works for me. Your mileage may vary!

Reply to
Morgans

"Jennifer Smith" wrote

Also, practice figure 8's. That keeps you from getting so you can only fly racetrack patterns in only one direction.

Reply to
Morgans

Good point, although I wouldn't necessarily start out with figure 8's... I've found flight level control and clean turns more important at first, especially since they're pretty much prerequisite to clean landings. Just my personal preference. :)

Jen

Reply to
Jennifer Smith

If you are using mode 2, elevator and ailerons on RHS stick, then the following may help.

When you put the model into a right turn, you push the stick a little to the right, the model rolls to the right and you apply a little up elevator to tighten the turn whilst relaxing the aileron input, gradually relax the elevator back to neutral. Notice how you moved the stick, a clockwise circuit and the model turned clockwise as viewed from above.

Now cease thinking left/right, think clockwise/anti-clockwise. It works for travel towards or away, plus across left to right or right to left just as well. If the model is inverted, it still works but the circuit is executed in the upper half of stick gimbals.

Reply to
Branko

Hi BB, Stop trying to "think backwards" because it takes too long for your brain to sort things out. I learned to fly RC way back in the 60s and the one thing I found to be most difficult was directional control when the bird was heading towards me. I solved the problem by looking over my shoulder when landing. It worked but no matter how good I became as a pilot that habit always branded me as a beginner/inexperienced pilot and I envied the troops who had the skill to land while facing the aircraft. I compounded that error by turning left constantly because left turns just seemed easier or more natural. I attribute that to my full scale experience with *real* aircraft - sticks and tailwheels ;-) Since I am right handed it seemed more natural to push the stick left than to pull it right.

I left RC for about 30 years and when I returned I vowed to do it correctly. Since I had about 2500 hours PIC time I experimented with the putting myself in the cockpit technique and it didn't work. Perhaps I didn't try hard enough. I decided to try the"Bump and Go" (I prefer "Touch and Go") *and* aileron into the low wing, techniques. Bump and Go means just a very small (bump) movement of the stick. If the aircraft responds correctly follow through. If it doesn't, bump the stick in the opposite direction. If all's well follow through. The extremely small stick movements (bumps) prevent over controlling and the inevitable loss of orientation.

Most importantly I found that "aileron into the low wing" worked extremely well for me. Practice on your sim and it will become a natural reflex reaction. Remember, Bump and Go - Aileron into the low wing, Practice figure eights until you don't favor either direction - I still favor left turns :-(

BTW, a correct figure eight consists of two horizontal circles of the same diameter and which are tangent at the crossover point (no X cross over in the middle). Good luck -

Ed

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Hi BB

Ed Forsythe is 'Right On'. When I started to fly with ailerons, I had a similar problem. Then a 'friend' told me about the 'Low wing' right or 'Low Wing' left as you face the incoming plane. ALWAYS 'bump' to the low side. You must concentrate on the idea of the 'Low Wing' for a few flights and before you know it, it comes natural.

Good Luck! and Have Fun!

Earl Of Troy AMA 40329

Ed Forsythe wrote:

Reply to