Hey Ed Forsythe!!!

I just came back from visiting the XPS site. It cost me almost $500, but I feel better now not having to worry about 2.4 GHz problems.

I bought two combo packs and some accessories. The combo packs are for my JR radios.

The Spektrum stuff goes up for sale on eBay some time this week. I'm going to hold on to the Futaba FASST system for smaller models. I've gotten back into flying smaller Diesel powered models lately. I'm sure the Futaba stuff will work just fine for that purpose.

Once one reads the specs of the XPS gear, it is hard to imagine buying anything else.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

What is XPS? What is the website?

Reply to
Jim

Wow! You don't mess around!

Ed, I would have advised you to wait just a wee bit. The 6 ch RXs are due out in a few days and they will be field programmable (software not firmware) Currently the 8 & 10 ch RXs are not field programmable but I understand you'll be able to upgrade them when the time comes. Remember the

6ch RXs have limited range. Up to 1000' they communicate bi- directionally just as the 8 & 10 ch RXs do. Past 1000' they lose the bidirectional capability but they are OK out to at least 2500' (I think). The 6chs are designed for park flyers etc. I have 2-8ch RX (because they are smaller, lighter than the 10s, I don't need a 10) and a JR module and I'm waiting to buy a couple of 6 chs. Unlike 72MHz RXs, mounting position is more critical. i.e *nothing* metallic or electrical may touch the RX antenna and there should be a 2" diameter hemisphere above the unit through which there are no wires, connections, etc. Most aren't having any problems complying but there are always the oddballs who claim they don't follow the rules and everything still works. unit should be mounted as high in the airframe as possible. etc.

The glider troops are complaining because it won't work completely encapsulated in a carbon fuselage. (what does?) Some are getting around that by drilling a hole in the fuselage/canopy area through which the little nub antenna may protrude and *see* better. etc. Remember 2.4GHz is not new technology but the application to RC stuff is.

Early adopters are inevitably faced with problems. However, unlike the Spektrum troops who probably don't have the ability to communicate directly to the head honcho via email, we XPS types do. As I said Jim hangs out on his forums (RC Groups) listens *and* makes changes. BTW, Check out the manual available at the web site. One more thing, Jim periodically has had problems with the e-commerce functions on the site although I think he has ironed them out.

From all I've read the Futaba FASST systems haven't developed any serious problems yet and I hope they don't. Futaba makes excellent systems. I went JR after years of inactivity (former Kraft type) because I *can* feel the difference. ;-)) Good luck -

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Morgans

I have just bought one XPS module and 8 channel receiver to check ou

the system. I have been following all 2.4 systems for the last yea and am most impressed by the way they have responded to the few report of problems while I have not appreciated the way others have attempte to hide low voltage problems. I know that there will be problems wit any new technology and rate the manufacturers with how they respond t reports of problems. Whatever the reported problems, the majority ar usually caused by a loose stick nut flying into the ground or stupi installations. Been that way since I flew my first RC model in 1956

-- Chuck

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ChuckA's Profile:

this thread:

ChuckA

Good choice Chuck - Welcome to the XPS club :-)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I have a Futaba 2.4 gig FASST system and have been following the flight reports on RC Groups. I know nothing about low voltage problems. Care to expand on that?

CR

ChuckA wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

I was under the impression that the low voltage problem was particular to the Spektrum 2.4 GHz systems. Not true?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger