Wireless desktop is going back where it came from!

A few days ago I made myself a present, in the form of a Logitech S510 wireless keyboard and mouse. I do not mean to criticize this product in particular, which I have no doubt fits well with many peoples' needs, and is competitive with other makes and models available.

For my AutoCad work however, it just didn't cut it. First off, the center button on the mouse was assigned differently, and would not do the usual panning function in autoCad. This can be easily reconfigured though, to work "alomst" normally. Almost - because it also has stupid sideways panning buttons attached to it, which get in my way and end up making the normal pan function cumbersome and error prone. Worse yet, the mouse pointer movement is impossible to control precisely. I tried all sorts of settings, different speeds, with and without acceleration, different mousing surfaces - it almost acts as if it doesn't "want" to land on the exact spot you are trying to pick, and it will either go not quite far enough, or overshoot - it is extremely frustrating. Just as bad, the "click" feature (yes, the plain old vanilla mouse click) is unreliable. Sometimes you click and nothing happens at all. Again, and again and again. Other times it acts as though you have maintained the button, and tries to drag as soon as you want to move away. I don't need to tell anyone here how much I appreciate this type of behavior when I'm trying to work on a drawing. It is totally nerve-wracking, when working on a drawing have to be fighting with the mouse just to get it to click on something.

Finally, the keyboard has its oddities - sometimes stops typing alltogether, adds double carriage returns when I'm expecting single, has too many of its own "hot keys" built in,getting in your way etc. But overall the comfort of the keyboard is OK, and it would be possible to get used to its strangeness - unlike the mouse, which simply doesn't work.

Is my experience shared by others here? I am honestly surprised - I really expected the wireless mouse to work exactly like a wired one, and was not expecting any wierdness at all. How many are using wireless systems out there? Does anyone think I'm doing something wrong? (the soiftware is correctly installed, the batteries are all fresh, and the emmitter/receptor is only a few inches from the two devices).

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

My Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard are 1 1/2yrs old and I love them both. The only "real" problem I have is the "return or enter" key is not as large as my old keyboard. Old one: 2 keys wide and one key up ("L" shape) New one: just 2 keys wide.

I have not experienced any of the problems you are having. And I like the tilt wheel pan feature of the mouse. Goes from side to side effortlessly. But since everyone has his/her own way of working, when it doesn't work like you want, it really ticks you off and puts you in a foul mood.

I also liked the old keyboard because it was like an IBM Selectric typewriter, with "clicking" keys. The "silent" keyboards aren't really that silent after all.

Just my 2 1/2 cents, > A few days ago I made myself a present, in the form of a Logitech S510

Reply to
Janice G

Wow - amazing. Thanks for your input. I really wanted the freedom of the wireless mouse, and I was not at all expecting any performance problems. But if I cannot bring the pointer exactly where I want it (or if I have to "fight" to do so) and then I cannot click on it reliably, then it's just a waste of time.

Maybe it's because I bought a "lower end" product? It was about $60, and there were others upwards of $200. Right now I have a $6.00, 1996 PS2 wheel mouse, and it works to perfection! Could not ask for anything better. Doesn't look too cool - pretty soon I'll wear through the case of it - but it sure gets me through my day reliably!

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

I bought a $15 GE wireless mouse for use with my laptop about 2 years ago. It works flawlessly until the batteries are low. I do know that if the reciever is close to some other frequency emitter (radio, CRT monitor, wireless network card, etc.) the response deteriorates to the types of symptoms you describe. You may want to make sure the reciever is not near anything like those (just a few inches makes a big difference) and also make sure your mouse is not sitting on something that may interfere.

I will never go back to corded.....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Follow-up : Brought the wireless desktop back, and got a refund without difficulty. The guy seemed unsurprised that I was dissatisfied with it, so I asked if a lot of them are coming back for refunds. "Not a lot - but it happens" was his reply. I asked him if he had a better suggestion, and the only one he could give me was to use Logitech's high-end ultra design unit, for $250.

I'm not ready to spend $250 on a mouse, hoping against hope it will work as well as my $4.00 PS2 mechanical mouse. I think I'll probably be with corded units for a long time to come.

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

Well, I am not using a CRT monitor any more, but the unit is close to a wireless network. I will not get rid of the wireless network - If I have to choose between a wireless mouse and a wireless network, because the two interfere with each other, then I can use a corded mouse for the rest of my life! I'm also not ready to re-design my office to accommodate the wireless mouse. If they cannot make it work in a normal office setting, with all kinds of emmitters, cellphones, wireless printers etc, then they have not done a very good job. Perhaps a bluetooth version would work better?

GF

Reply to
Greg Farris

Greg, I'm not talking about reworking anything. What I was saying is that if my receiver for the cordless mouse happens to get set right next to, or within about 4-5 inches of, my laptop's wireless network card (which is built-in on the right side, near where my mouse usually sits) I experiance weird actions with the mouse. If I move the receiver just 1 inch away, all works fine.

I did have an occassion where my mouse was just totally whacked out. It took me an hour to figure it out, but my nephew came to visit and was showing my wife some pictures he took while away at college. I was working at home on a job with a deadline when all of a sudden I had NO control over my mouse. To make a long story a bit shorter, it turns out that his laptop was on the table against the same wall that my desk is against and his laptop/mouse was closer to my laptop than my own mouse and we both had the same model of mouse. Moving him to another table solved my problem.

On another note, I do know that if I set my cell phone (Kyocera) down within

1 foot of my laptop, I can hear the comp. speakers have some noise interference approx. 1 second before my phone rings......

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff