Let me pick your brains. I need advice on a Cub ARF

Having been out of the hobby for a while, I'm not familiar with what is available in ARFs.

I'm looking for a Cub ARF to overpower with a Saito .82. I enjoy doing knife edge flight, minimum roll takeoffs into pure vertical climbs, etc. Is there a durable Cub ARF available that will do the above with the stated engine?

TIA

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Hangar 9 ARF?

You might want to clip the wings I suppose.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

| Having been out of the hobby for a while, I'm not familiar with what is | available in ARFs. | | I'm looking for a Cub ARF to overpower with a Saito .82. I enjoy doing knife | edge flight

I don't think any Cub will do a good knife edge, no matter how much power you give it. There's just too many things fighting with you to keep the plane level -- the dihedral, the high wing ...

| minimum roll takeoffs into pure vertical climbs, etc.

For a minimum roll takeoff, you want a Super Cub, with flaps! :)

Sorry, can't suggest any specific planes. The Goldberg J-3 Cub I have has 80" wings I believe, and the 0.48 4-stroke on it is adequate, but it certainly doesn't go vertical. An 0.82 4 stroke on it might just do it, however ...

(I always wondered why there were so many J-3 cubs out there, and so few Super Cubs. (And so one might ask: Well, why do I have a J-3 cub? Because I got it cheap at an auction ... no Super Cubs available!))

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Thanks, Marty. Appreciate it.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

My Goldberg Cub would knife edge with an Enya .80 four-stroke. As far as being "good". Nope. But it did do it. On a good day, it would even climb a bit in a left hand knife edge. I never could get it to do a sustained knife edge with the right side down. I blamed it on the cylinder head.

Thanks for the thought.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

My 1/4 scale clipped wing Cub will knife edge but it needs full opposite aileron and a lot of elevator... The rudder is frighteningly powerful though as I found out when it did it's first flick roll. My cub will easily go from KE flight into a vertical prop-hang/climb, that is, when my thumbs can keep up with the stick gymnastics...

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

Which is more desirable - the Cub or flying knife edge, looping in the length of the aircraft, etc.?

If the latter, you are in for a REAL treat. Visit Hobby-Lobby at hobby-lobby.com. Be sure the - is in there or you go to the wrong place.

Look at the HUGE assortment of 3-D aircraft they offer. Many are electric. The most exciting thing going right now in R/C is electric powered foamie ARF's for some of the most unbelievable maneuvers you have ever thought about, let alone have seen. You want unlimited vertical? 5 ft takeoff length (or zero launch from your hand)? Knife edge until you get bored with it? Acrobatics that aeronautical engineers will tell you cannot be done? You'll find them there.

Google Billy Hell and Profile Brotherhood for more really useful info as well.

Reply to
Charlie Funk

in article snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com, Ed Cregger at snipped-for-privacy@yahu.com correct the spelling wrote on 3/10/05 7:43 PM:

Ed, Dave Patrick makes a very nice Super Cub. Pricey, but nice.

Morris

Reply to
The Lees

You have an excellent web page, Phillip. Apparently, we share similar interests in types of models.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I have been there, Charlie. They do offer lots of fascinating aircraft.

I was hoping that someone made a Goldberg type Cub in an ARF. I never did check Goldberg. Maybe their new owners are importing something that would fill the bill.

I think that what would suit me best is to find a built Goldberg Cub that was constructed with lightness in mind and a seller willing to fit my engine and radio to the model (for a price - of course). I just don't have the energy to do much building of any kind these days. I'm not even sure I can fly alone. But what fun is that anyway?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Thanks, Morris. I'll give it a look-see.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

IMO, flying IS fun, even if you have to be a loner. I would rather fly alone than with some of the idiots I've seen around.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

Hey Charlie - I don't think you get it :) Everyone expects a 3D rocket to do extraordinary things but no one expects a beautiful Cub to taxi sedately to the runway with a 4C ticking away then execute a very Cub like takeoff , rotate, gracefully, to vertical and climb until it's almost OOS. Stops the show every time. Especially the rolling circles below 50'!

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Exactly...

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

Yep, you know what I'm up to. 8^>

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, I've missed talking with you......and since the last time w talked, I've moved to Arizona - which is a modeler's heave weather-wise (especially at this time of the year!). So how have y been?

I had only one J3 Cub that is still available....from Thunder Tiger but a Saito 82 would be way overpowered....I used a Saito 91 on min and had a dicken's of a time landing - simply put, it wouldn't! Had t dead stick her in :)

Hope you are back 'full time' ....stay in touch!

Jerry Fest

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Hello, my friend. I missed you and the gang too.

Doing a little better these days. Lost about sixty pounds. I need to lose a bunch more. The wife and I are working on it. About to begin "Sugar Busters", if you've heard of it.

I love Arizona. Whereabouts are you, if I may ask? Near Phoenix? Tucson? Yuma? Flagstaff? Peyson?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Could you loose a couple dozen pounds for me while you are at it? :)

I live on the west side of phoenix, about 3 miles south of I-10 and 20 miles from my flying site :(

And yes, I know Sugar Busters well - lost over 500 pounds on that diet I'd loose 5 pounds, gain 5, loose 10 gain 10, etc.

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

It sounds as though you might be flying at the old AAF Aux field, not that far from Luke AFB and Sun City.

I'm doing the Sugar Busters thing for the wife. I lost the sixty pounds before we started that diet. I'll throw in a few for you, Jerry.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Pro Fliers or ARCS field?