Need advice on etching jewelry

I have had some custom jewelry made that is incomplete. The next phase of my vision requires letters to be etched onto the surface of rings.
I have 10 small gold rings that I would like to have letters etched onto them. They are 4mm in width. The letters would be different for each ring, but repeat all the way around each ring.
below is a link to a picture of the rings...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/rockethobbit/RingEtching.jpg
I assumed laser etching would work or hand engraving?
I need advice on what type of etching would be best for this and who would I look for to perform this type of etching?
Also what would be a resonable price to have this done?
Thank you for your help.

A pantograph is commonly used to engrave such things. That's not to say that you won't find other methods, just mentioning that, in days gone by, before CNC controls, those that didn't have engraving skills used such a machine. Gorton made a model that was used extensively in the jewelry industry, capable of what you might call 2-1/2 D. Not really a 3 D machine, but capable of following radii on rings.
Harold

So if I look in the phone book, I should look for what? I believe what I need done is a bit specialized so I can't go to any engraver.
snip---

Not sure, James. You might start with a jewelry store that has a bench man. Even if he can't do the job for you, he should know someone that can. I know if you lived in the Salt lake City area I could make a recommendation of a shop that had a pantograph, or even a guy that engraves. I no longer live there, and have no connections with the jewelry industry where I now live.
Sorry I'm not more help.
Harold
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Here in the Uk the jewellery trade wouldnt try to do what you want to do the way you went about it. Either they would have made the rings by casting, or they would have made up a strip of the ring section with the letters stamped into the metal before the ring was turned from strip into a ring. Etching or engraving isnt the economic way to make these. What will also effect the result is what metal or alloy the rings are made of. Some alloys will etch well others wont etch at all. For a one off engraving is the only way to go. If youve hundreds to make , youll need to look for a jewellry manufacturer. Hell give you a price to make them and his terms of business.

They have already been made. I am stuck with them now. I have 10 rings that need to have letters etched onto them and I am just trying to find the "proper" method to doing this. I am not proposing something unique, I am sure in the history of the world, someone has etched letters/designs onto the outside of a ring.
I guess I just have to take the rings to every jeweler I can find and ask them if they can do it. I as hoping I could get a shortcut here so I would not have to do so much driving. :)
snip--

It's a long shot, James, but you might also explore folks that engrave trophies.
Harold

say
by,
machine,
If you want a good job done, you need to talk to a "real" jeweler, not a retail jewelery store.
So, back to my (and many others) pet peeve in this NG: Where Are You???
I know a guy in San Diego whose work is first rate and whose prices are reasonable (which is not the same as cheap...).
Jerry
If it suits your needs, laser etching could be performed very reasonably .

That is my question. Will laser etching suit my needs?

Probably. But with jewelry being more art and aesthetic, you need to decide if the look is right. Certainly the letters in your link can be engraved with a laser. Do a Google search on "laser marking" rather than etching. You'll find manufacturers of the equipment as well as companies that perform the service.
The machines are fast and a breeze to program, so getting a sample done shouldn't be too costly.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Thank you for the assistance. I live in Arizona, but I am willing to ship the piece to someone who is qualified.
Not quite the same, but...
I was at an auction saturday where a cnc dot imprint machine sold for $600

James, you might want to ask this over in rec.crafts.jewelery. That is a moderated group so your question might not show up right away.
You might also check into a ring engraver machine. They normally engrave on the inside of the ring but might be able to do the outside, I am not sure.
Good Luck