Powermatic 1200 pictures

Here are some pics of my "new" drill press. The Anniversary sticker,

whole thing,
knob and bent adjustment shaft,
side,
control and name plate,
I guess it does have more than one hole!
I cobbled the VFD up to the motor to see if it runs and the drive works and it is very smooth and quiet. I had the max hertz set at 120 and did not realize it at first so at even 2x the motor nameplate RPM it is still quiet! My cheapy, Taiwan built Jet is noisier. The casting for the speed control where it bolts to the frame is broken, for now a large washer through the mounting hole seems to hold it. I probably will weld it up at some point. Then the table lift crank is buggered up, but I think it should be an easy repair. I just need to mount the VFD, and wire it up properly with run, stop, and reversing switches where the factory on/off switch is and other than a good cleaning it should be ready to go to work. For those not familiar with this drill press, it stands 6'5" tall., and weighs a bunch!

Reply to
Greg O

Looks awesome. Mine is a newer version, with a stamped guard.

Try it with coolant, you can just mix a bit and use a spray bottle. You will like it. Just make sure to break chips into pieces.

The whole thing,

VFD

Left side,

Speed control and name plate,

Table, I guess it does have more than one hole!

Reply to
Ignoramus2298

Very very very nice!

You can mount the VFD on the Left side of the head, near the motor, by simply bringing a couple 1/8'x1" bars off the motor mount plate and putting on a piece of aluminum or steel plate and mounting the VFD on. I did that with my Rockwell. My VFD has a speed pot on the front of it..so it was a no brainer

The left side made more sense to me..the righthanded guy, because I can run the quill and change speed at the same time. YMMV of course.

Which reminds me..a buddy is a strong lefthander..and has reversed the quill handle on his drill presses. Drives me nuts to use his tools....lol Gunner

Gunner Asch

Just what I am planning on doing, except I plan on pulling the OEM on/off swictch from the front of the machine, and put a start button, and reverse button there. I may put a speed pot along with them. Greg

Reply to
Greg O