Need advice upgrading from HobbyZone stuff to ARF kits

Hello, I am ready to upgrade to a Hobbico SuperStar EP ARF (Electric not gas) kit. The kit comes with motor and ESC... I need to purchase at least a 4 channel radio. Am I right in assuming I can use a 6 channel Futaba 6YG (in case I need more channels for later planes) instead? Do I just plug in the ESC into the throttle channel and forget the receiver battery pack? I mean does the fact the ESC has the main battery for the 400 speed motor mean it will also power the receiver as well?

Sorry for my ignorance, but this is all new to me...

Thanks for any help.

Richard

Reply to
CouldBeFlying

Yes. The 6 channel radio is fine.

The ESC plugs into the throttle channel (slot #3 on Futaba/HiTec receiver ). The ESC for this plane has a built in BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit ) so it will power the receiver also.

In case you are not aware, you balance the plane by moving the battery pack to where the plane balances.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Hi Richard, I have the Superstar EP and I think you will be very happy with it. Yes you can use the 6YG with it and no you don't need the receiver battery as the main battery that powers the motor will also power the receiver. The ESC also has a battery cut off that will allow you to land the plane under control if you drain the battery down too low. You can expect to get anywhere from 8 to 10 min out of the battery that comes with the kit depending on your use of the throttle.

Phil

Reply to
Philip Goodwin

Thanks so much Phil & Ted... I am placing an order right now!

Richard

Reply to
CouldBeFlying

You are correct on all counts. The ESC should have a plug for the receiver in addition to the plug for the battery. This would be plugged in to channel 3.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Most modern ESC (Electric Speed Controls) have a BEC (Battery Eliminato

Circuit) built in. So the battery is hooked up to the ESC and th receiver is powered by the leads that plug into the throttle channel. The third lead is the one that powers the motor

-- indoruwe

this thread:

indoruwet