Help a newbie wire in his receiver?

I got a GWS GWR-4P receiver today along with servos for a plane I bought off of ebay. I am using a Futaba 6EXA transmitter, using the most common signals - throttle, rudder, elevators, and ailerons.

The back of the receiver has " S + - " directly across from 1 set of pins, and the numbers 1,2, and 3 across from the other 3 sets of pins, and "4/B" across from nothing.

Is the set of pins across from the S+- actually channel 1, and the pins across from the 3 the fourth channel?

Would simply trying the different servos on different pins be safe to do? Including the cable from the ESC?

The receiver was only $20, but I don't want to burn it out on the first try.

Thanks for putting up with a new RC plane enthusiast with what may be a simple question.

Happy Holidays!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Byerly

Almost certainly.

ESC? Ah. Leccy model. Yes. Totally. Just don't get the battery to ESC wires reversed. That is the only killer miswire.

Ailerons go on channel 1, elevator on 2, throttle on 3 and rudder on 4.

Yu need to reverse the throttle sense on the futaba transmitter to get the ESC to work properly.

I have an old and very tired 4.8v pack I use to set servos up. I try NOT to use an ESC with motor connected, but if you must, remove the prop to avoid the sort of nasty accidents I have had from time to time with models leaping off the bench onto the floor unexpectedly.

Nope. Been there, screwed up everywhichwaybut...er the qway I haven;'t screwed up yet.

Why go through the pain when asking is all it takes?

Et Tu, Brute! :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| I got a GWS GWR-4P receiver today along with servos for a plane I | bought off of ebay. I am using a Futaba 6EXA transmitter, using the | most common signals - throttle, rudder, elevators, and ailerons.

For a park flier, this isn't a bad receiver. And it's dirt cheap! It's certainly a better quality receiver than the Hitec feather -- and yet it's half the price.

Still, it's a single conversion receiver. I wouldn't suggest using it in a glow plane or a larger electric.

| The back of the receiver has " S + - " directly across from 1 set of | pins, and the numbers 1,2, and 3 across from the other 3 sets of pins, | and "4/B" across from nothing. | | Is the set of pins across from the S+- actually channel 1, and the | pins across from the 3 the fourth channel?

Yes, that would be correct.

| Would simply trying the different servos on different pins be safe to | do? Including the cable from the ESC?

Yes, that would be safe. Don't put a prop on the engine right away though -- wait until you get everything worked out. Even a park flier prop can cut you nicely.

It doesn't matter what plug goes into what hole -- the only problem is that you may find your controls are mixed up, with your throttle adjusting your elevator or something like that. In particular, you can put the battery (or ESC, which provides power to everything) in any plug you want in almost all receivers. | The receiver was only $20, but I don't want to burn it out on the | first try.

The way that these receivers get burned out is by reversing the + and

- lines on the battery or ESC connector. As long as you don't do that, and don't pump more than 6 volts directly into the receiver (the BEC in your ESC should take care of that) you should be fine.

With the + plug in the middle, plugging the ESC or battery in backwards will not burn it out -- it'll just not work. But if you put it on so that only two plugs are on, and put it backwards, then you CAN burn out the receiver. So double check how the ESC goes on before you hook the battery up to the ESC -- and make sure that's correct too.

The servos aren't nearly so important. If they're not on right, they just won't work -- but nothing will get burned out.

| Thanks for putting up with a new RC plane enthusiast with what may be | a simple question.

We were all new once :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Thanks for the help. I got the servos and receiver hooked up and was pleasantly surprised when everything worked! I did have to reverse the throttle control. I am looking forward to some decent weather to try it out!

Thanks again, Ken

Reply to
Ken Byerly