pitts style muffler, what is the advantages ?

i'm getting a OS .46 fx glow 2 stroke engine and want to know advantages of pitts style muffler. does it add that much more power ? this will be on a 40 size airplane.

doug,

Reply to
doug and emily

It allows you to have the muffler inside the cowl on cowled installations. That's it. If anything, you'll probably lose power......that's what happened to me with my Super Tigre GS.45 when I put the 'pitts' muffler on it. If you want more power, you need a 'tuned pipe'.

MrBonk

MrBonk

The only reason for using a Pitts-style muffler is for scale-like appearance.

Has nothing to do with performance, and in fact may degrade it. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

The only advantage, IMHO, is that you don't have a huge honkin' can muffler hanging out of the cowl. You don't have to cut a chunk of your firewall out in many cases, either.

Pitts mufflers are loud. Noise is a big concern at many fields today. They can also cause fuel flow problems due to lack of backpressure to the tank, and have you searching for reasons why your engine is suddenly running lean. Also, IMHO, they are not well suited to belly landings. I've torked my Pitts muffler twice now.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch