What Is This Muffler

Just won a K&B 40 at last night's club raffle. It's previously owned (the guy who donated it received it from someone who was not the original owner). It came to me with an Irvine two-needle carb and this odd looking muffler. I'm wondering about the muffler.

It's a tongue muffler, about three inches long, with an open end and a spring inside, about one inch from the exhaust port. The spring looks like it covers a considerable area, which makes me wonder how in heck the engine is going to perform with it in there.

Does this muffler sound familiar to anyone? Is it something I want to use, or is it bogus?

I'm probably going to machine a venturi and use the thing for control line stunt, so a tongue muffle is nice, but not if it doesn't work!

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It sounds like one of the versions of the Dubro muffler that I have seen. Backpressure isnt as much as it would seem but it also doesnt muffle much. But no tongue muffler seems to do much more than cut the edge off the sound... I would give it a try. I've used the K&B engines in CL and they like to run best in a 2 cycle so consider using props like a piped engine. Low pitch and maybe a bit of extra length. That way you can run a "wet" 2 cycle and not worry about trying to get that classic 2-4 sound that a Fox or Supertigre might have. Enjoy! Bob

Reply to
icerinkdad

It sounds like the one I had on an Enya .29 and I think it was Dubro. It worked well and may still. I had it in a CG Falcon 56. I've pondered using an RC engine on CL. Why couldn't you wire open the throttle and use it that way? mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

I don't know if there's any reason not to just wire open the throttle (or leave it part way, if that's what the plane demands). If I just toss together a profile model that's probably what I'll do.

I think I'll go ask your question on the C/L forum.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Until you are building a world beater stunter to take to the Nationals wiring open the carb works fine and is a lot easier than tracking down a venturi and needle valve assembly for a K&B 40 (since the CL version had the venturi molded in place it would have to be an aftermarket machined one...) Have fun! Bob Bob

Reply to
icerinkdad

It's really odd, but I find things like that sitting on my lathe from time to time.

I think it's elves.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

No - The ghosts of the Hardinge brothers.

Reply to
Maurice

They'd be appalled at my lathe, though.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Does the first listing on this seller look like your muffler?

mk check out the vintage engines, cool.

Reply to
MJKolodziej

That's shorter and much less black.

Neat vintage engines -- I'm surprised at the low prices, at least the ones I looked at.

Reply to
Tim Wescott