Glow engine bearings

My OS 1.08 FSR needs new bearings. Can I go the local hardware shop and buy ordinary ball bearings of the correct size, or does a glow engine need something special?

Reply to
Robert Roland

If you can get them from a local retailer they should be fine.

Although I have no affiliation with the following company I've found them very cheap and VERY helpful in supplying matched bearing sets for my engines.

I've found them cheaper than any local supplier and quick on postage, best of all you can search for matched sets of bearings for your engine type rather than have some hardware/bearing bloke measure and match.

Oh, they can also provide the more exotic bearing types to suit those chasing every last fraction of power.

Reply to
The Raven

+1 on this outfit. Great service, selection and prices.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Great. Thanks. One more question: Could I use a rubber seal on the front bearing? I'd think it would protect the front bearing much better from dust and grime, but I'm not sure the rubber will handle the speed and temperatures.

This time, I need them fast, but I've saved the link for future use. They don't list the 1.08 FSR, though. Maybe it is simply too old to care about.

Reply to
Robert Roland

Give Paul a call. (IIRC, Paul McIntosh is the owner's name?) You can be assured he mvery likely has bearings to fit it, and probably a choice of grades, too.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

I can recommend doing business with Paul. I also have gotten bearings from Bocca bearings

mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

I prefer Paul..ymmv