Smoke from a Magnum 61

I am trying to add smoke to a Cub I have with a Magnum 61 2 stroke on
it. I have poked around looking for smoke mufflers, and I've found
plenty for OS, but I'm not saeeing any for a Magnum. The engine is
already mouted sideways, and I've got a Pitts-style muffler on it, so
it seems like it should be a bolt-on affair once I find a muffler. Any
tips on where to get one? Any tips on smoke in general?
Thanks,
Steve
Reply to
Steve
The fact is, it's nigh impossible to get decent smoke from a two-stroke, unless you stuff the fuse full of oily rags and light them off just before takeoff...
There is a downside to this, as it's usually a one-shot deal, and it's frowned on at most AMA clubs
Cheers,
Bill

Bill Fulmer
In all seriousness, Steve, I've yet to see decent smoke from a two-stroke.... The exhaust hasn't the necessary heat... But there are smoke mufflers available for the OS engines, as you say. Check the spacing on your engine's attachment points... Magnums are pretty much OS clones, and the smoker version for the OS .61 may very well be a drop-in fit..
Good luck,
Bill

Bill Fulmer
Ok, I found that most of the smoke I saw was on 4 strokes, I just figured that was because it was on the bigger planes and thus the bigger engines. I'll keep exploring...
Thanks for the help, Steve
Reply to
Steve
IIRC, the smoke mufflers for OS engines should bolt right up to the Magnum engines. After all, Magnums are copies of OS engines.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
You can get decent smoke from two cycles, but you need to get the smoke oil preheated, before it is injected.
One guy I saw had taken some brass tubing, and had wrapped it in a coil, pretty small, and put the inside his muffler. The smoke oil went through the coils, got heated up,then was injected into the exhaust right as it came out of the cylinder. It also needs to mist the oil, very well.
Reply to
Morgans

Site Timeline