Tower Hobbies .61 ABC engine

Can anyone comment on the quality and performance of this engine. It seems to be a bargain at $89.99. I'm on a limited budget and am considering
installing it in a 4 Star 60. Any suggestions on a reasonably-priced alternate 2 stroke engine would be appreciated. I presently have a NIB OS .61 SF which was purchased many years ago and has never been run. Anyone have any experience with this earlier model? I believe it is the predecessor of the FX.
says...

That "old" SF is one heck of a good motor. I'd take it over a brand new Tower any day. This series was discontinued so they could make the more cost competitive FX series. I prefer the SF any day, and my daily knock around flyer, a Stick, uses the 46 SF. You'll find a lot of planes at the field still running them.
The old SF's are great. Use it. I have 4 of the 61 SF's, and 1 61 SF-P (pumped). Just put bearings in once in a while and they just keep on going strong.
Hall

seems
OS
predecessor
Can anyone comment on the quality and performance of this engine. It seems to be a bargain at $89.99. I'm on a limited budget and am considering installing it in a 4 Star 60. Any suggestions on a reasonably-priced alternate 2 stroke engine would be appreciated. I presently have a NIB OS .61 SF which was purchased many years ago and has never been run. Anyone have any experience with this earlier model? I believe it is the predecessor of the FX.
============= Definitely run what you already have. A few of the guys in our club have OS SF's that have been flying for many many years. They'd be thrilled to get their hands on one that's NIB.
Carrell
Yea, what do you think, should I get rid of my 10 year old, zero mileage, Ferrari that's in my garage and buy a brand new Volkswagon?
MJC

seems
predecessor
Hey, that says it all succinctly!!!

OS

Let me know what color you want and I'll order a Golf and swap with you :)
Yea, because it will cost you more to fix all the rusted metal and shot seals than the car is worth! ;^)
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation

Anyone
You overlook the part that the Ferrari has zero mileage. That means it has been sitting with the seals drying out and the engine internals exposed to air with no oil circulated. I used to work at Sacramento Sports Car Center and the worst ones were ones that sat in a garage for a few years with "zero mileage".
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation

My return address requires modification before use.
Shitty English weather!
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland.

My return address requires modification before use.
Only with someone in Arizona! ;^)
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation
Dave S, Kuusankoski, Finland.

My return address requires modification before use.
Hey.. HE drew first blood! :-)
MJC

engine.
run.
jflongworth wrote:

Check out this article
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/click_trips/may03/60engines1.asp
In accordance with the article TH .61 is one of the best engines in .60 range
Yuri
That article only showed what it does on a test stand. I am sure everyone remembers how well the older MDS engines ran IN THE AIR!
I wish these testers would actually bolt the engines onto a test airframe such as a good Stick model and really test them.
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation

Agreed.
I proposed that RCR should have a column entitled "From the Field," which would consist of stories from actual experience with various engines and airframes AFTER the initial break-in period and shakedown flights.
No go yet.
r.m.rc.air does a pretty good job of covering that territory, I guess.
                    Marty
Problem is, most rmrcair is too full of opinion. I would be willing to give hard data for any testing you want to do.
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation