tower hobbies .46 engine

how good is this engine compared to other brands like OS ? thinking of putting it in a 40 size trainer.
doug,

Doug, They are decent engines for the price. They are strong and will run well. The question I have is how long will it last. I had two .46's and one .75. One of the .46's needed a new piston and liner in less than 18 months (I fly almost every weekend). I did sell the other .46 before any trouble. I also had to replace piston and liner on the .75 after about two years. Keep in mind that I haven't replaced anything on my OS 46FX in more than three years. All this I think comes under what you might call: "you get what you pay for". And I have a OS 40FSR that I bought used and was told it was all original then. It still has good compression. That motor is probably 8 to 10 years or more old. If an OS is not in your dudget I would look at the Thunder Tiger 46 Pro. It is a very strong motor. I recently bought one and was impressed with its power and ease of break-in and tuning. Many have told me they are extremely reliable and durable. And best of all you can find them for about the same price as the Tower 46. I'm sure you'll probably get many different opinions here. Check with the guys at your flying field. They can tell what shops have what you're looking for and what kind of parts support is available locally should you need it. Good luck. Howard Orlando, Fl. Fly all year!

Go to the source and buy a GMS .47. Better carb.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

Paul McIntosh Wrote: > Go to the source and buy a GMS .47. Better carb. So a Tower 46 == a GMS 47? Interesting. Why was the engine displacement downsized when it was rebranded from GMS to Tower? Also what is the long-term verdict on these things? Prone to fast wearout?
--
theaveng
On 6/21/2004 6:37 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

I have extensive experience with the GMS line. I was a dealer for several years. I never had one returned because it wouldn't run right. They were all strong runners and very good value for the money. I have heard reports that some wouldn't shut off by the carb but I never personally saw one.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

I had one it was ok, the OS 46 is a lot nicer.