tower hobbies .46 engine

how good is this engine compared to other brands like OS ? thinking of putting it in a 40 size trainer.

doug,

Reply to
doug

Howard

Go to the source and buy a GMS .47. Better carb.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

On 6/21/2004 6:37 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

The Tower engine is a GMS engine with a different (read that as not as good) carb. The Tower engines I have had, have had excellent power (better than the OS) due to their muffler, good transition and idle. The ONLY problem I had with them is they would not shut off with the transmitter. Others who have had the Tower engines have also reported poor transition and idle.

The GMS engines, due to their carb, are not supposed to have the idle and transition problems, but still retain the excellent power. I have not owned a GMS so I do not have first hand experience with them, nor do I know if they have the shut down problem of the Tower engine.

Reports I have read on the GMS engine do indicate it is a top notch value for the money.

If you are new to the hobby, I would suggest Thunder Tiger PRO, Evolution or OS FX/AX series engines for your first engine. These engines are quite good, dependable and VERY user friendly (read, 99.9% of them run well right out of the box).

In any case, I would avoid the OS LA series and MDS brand of engines. Do a search on RC Universe

and form your own opinions of them.

If you have experience tuning and setting up the idle on engines, then you may want to consider the GMS engines also.

Just my opinion.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I have extensive experience with the GMS line. I was a dealer for several years. I never had one returned because it wouldn't run right. They were all strong runners and very good value for the money. I have heard reports that some wouldn't shut off by the carb but I never personally saw one.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
Rumprider

displacement downsized when it was rebranded from GMS to Tower? Also what is the long-term verdict on these things? Prone to fast wearout?

Reply to
theaveng