Tower Hobbies .46 ABC Engine

Hello,
I am just getting introduced to the hobby and received by Sig LT-40 ARF yesterday. I bought a Tower Hobbies .46 ABC engine to go along
with it. After reading several posts, I wonder if this engine was the right choice. Should I return it for a Thunder Tiger .46, or should I keep it. Could anyone with experience with this engine offer some insight. Thanks so much for your help.
Thanks,
Rob
I've got two of these engines. They are fairly good motors for the money. Good amount of power and quite reliable when tuned correctly. The only shortcomings I've seen is the reluctance of the engine to quit after cutting all throttle trim. I'm told this is due to air entering through the front bearing due to the cheaper unsealed bearings used. My son has a TT Pro .46 and that is an excellent engine for the money. Cheap, powerful and reliable, with no bad habits. IMHO, the best engine in the .46 size class is the OS 46FX. I've had a few of them. They cost a little more, but they are a sweet running powerhouse. These are just my opinions. "Like noses, mouths and other body cavities, everybody has one." I'm sure you'll get many more and varied opinions. Howard

Howard,
You were told wrong. Sealed front bearings are not common on the front of two strokes. There is also no price correlation between sealed and shielded bearings.
If air is leaking past the front bearing it is because there is too much clearance between the crankshaft and case.
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation

I'd get a TT Pro, OS FX, ST, or Webra. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
On 10/3/2003 10:49 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:
I started out with a Tower 46 engine (had been away for 30 years). I would not suggest it as a first engine. They are a powerful engine, BUT can be VERY frustrating to someone just starting out. They are notorious for not shutting off with the transmitter and there are numerous reports of poor idle (mine idled great - just would not shut off).
My first choice for someone just starting out is the OS 46 FX. This engine will run "Right Out Of The Box" and is as user friendly as you can get. It is a powerful engine you can use for other planes as well. It is a little more expensive than a TT (about $110 against about $90).
My second choice is the TT 46 PRO (make sure you get the Pro - it has the ball bearings). This engine is equal to the OS in almost every way. The reason I put it at #2 is because the needle valve is on the carb and therefore closer to the prop. The TT will also need a longer break-in period than the OS. The OS will perform great after 2 - 3 tanks of fuel, the TT needs about 1/2 gallon before it comes into it's own.

The newer TT Pro 46 engines come with a needle valve which is angled to the rear. This keeps your fingers out of the way of the prop without introducing the adjustment lag often noticed with remote needle valves. This might make it your first choice.
Jim - AMA 501383
Ted Campanelli wrote:

Does it have one needle or two?
--
Jim in NC

Two needles. It appears to be the same carb but with the main needle casting at an angle.
--
Paul McIntosh
Desert Sky Model Aviation

go with o
-- mathew021 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mathew0214's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u 078 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t 648
mathew0214 wrote:

check the date of the posting that you replied to... It's 4 years old.
I've got an OSMax .46 FX, an OSMax LA. 46, a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro, and a Tower Hobbies .46 ABC. All are great motors. No problems at all with any of them. The Tower Hobbies .46 has more power than all the others, hands down.
Crabs