Tower Hobbies .46 ABC Engine

Hello,

I am just getting introduced to the hobby and received by Sig LT-40 ARF yesterday. I bought a Tower Hobbies .46 ABC engine to go along with it. After reading several posts, I wonder if this engine was the right choice. Should I return it for a Thunder Tiger .46, or should I keep it. Could anyone with experience with this engine offer some insight. Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks,

Rob

Reply to
Robert Cina

Howard

Howard,

You were told wrong. Sealed front bearings are not common on the front of two strokes. There is also no price correlation between sealed and shielded bearings.

If air is leaking past the front bearing it is because there is too much clearance between the crankshaft and case.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

If you get a good one, they are great. If not, they can be very frustrating.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I'd get a TT Pro, OS FX, ST, or Webra. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

On 10/3/2003 10:49 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

I started out with a Tower 46 engine (had been away for 30 years). I would not suggest it as a first engine. They are a powerful engine, BUT can be VERY frustrating to someone just starting out. They are notorious for not shutting off with the transmitter and there are numerous reports of poor idle (mine idled great - just would not shut off).

My first choice for someone just starting out is the OS 46 FX. This engine will run "Right Out Of The Box" and is as user friendly as you can get. It is a powerful engine you can use for other planes as well. It is a little more expensive than a TT (about $110 against about $90).

My second choice is the TT 46 PRO (make sure you get the Pro - it has the ball bearings). This engine is equal to the OS in almost every way. The reason I put it at #2 is because the needle valve is on the carb and therefore closer to the prop. The TT will also need a longer break-in period than the OS. The OS will perform great after 2 - 3 tanks of fuel, the TT needs about 1/2 gallon before it comes into it's own.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

The newer TT Pro 46 engines come with a needle valve which is angled to the rear. This keeps your fingers out of the way of the prop without introducing the adjustment lag often noticed with remote needle valves. This might make it your first choice.

Jim - AMA 501383

Ted Campanelli wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones

Does it have one needle or two?

Reply to
Morgans

Two needles. It appears to be the same carb but with the main needle casting at an angle.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
WINZER

go with o

-- mathew021

this thread:

mathew0214

check the date of the posting that you replied to... It's 4 years old.

I've got an OSMax .46 FX, an OSMax LA. 46, a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro, and a Tower Hobbies .46 ABC. All are great motors. No problems at all with any of them. The Tower Hobbies .46 has more power than all the others, hands down.

Crabs

Reply to
Crabs