Anyone ever put a gas engine in a 25% Hangar9 CAP 232?

I've got a 25% Hangar9 CAP 232 with a Moki 1.20 in it. This is the 73" wingspan, 11.5 Lbs. ,blue/aqua/white, CAP 232 that Hanagar9 doesn't sell anymore. Bought it used a couple years ago. It's a great flying plane, but slightly under powered for my altitude (I'm in Denver, CO). So, I'm thinking about replacing the Moki 1.20 with something bigger. If I'm gonna do this, I'd really like to go with a gas engine.

Got my eye on the MVVS 1.60 and RCS 1.80 gassers. All reports I've seen indicate these are great gas engines.

Has anyone out there put either of these gassers in Hanagar9 CAP 232? Anyone have any other suggestions for a gas engine in this plane?

Reply to
Pat Fruth

Check out the MVVS 1.60 in RCuniverse. I have flown both engines, and liked the MVVS a lot more. The Moki gasser (RCS) is left to gather dust on my shelf. If you go to a bigger engine, weight will go up as well. Also there is the added ignition, switch and battery. I figure your final weight will be around 12 lbs. That is just a bit too heavy, If you plan to fly 3D. If aerobatics is your goal, the MVVS will make a great combo. Bob Pastorello has flown it and was quite satisfied. He abandoned the project however, because in down figures the added weight made speed increase too much for his liking

Reply to
Pe Reivers

I have a BME 44 in mine and it flys GREAT. However, I am at around 1000 feet MSL. Try a BME 50.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

a.k.a.

Six_O'Clock snipped-for-privacy@TargetLock.Guns

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Hello Pe`!

Talk about a SMALL world! His old airframe is the one *I* have a BME 44 mounted on and been flying for at least 2 years.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Wow Jim, you actually managed to fit a BME 44 into the 25% H9 CAP 232..... COOL :-o How did you mount it? (Inverted I'm guessing) How much cowl did you have to cut away? Could you send a picture of your installation?

Thanks for the testimonial.

Reply to
Pat Fruth

Sorry... email address is snipped-for-privacy@mho.com... should you be so kind as to send a pic of your install.

Reply to
Pat Fruth

I flew that Cap with the old style MVVS 1.6 w/Pitts muffler. It was underpowered, IMO. I switched to the MVVS 2.15 ( I had both), the 2.15 was plenty of power but the weight was a bit over 14 lbs. It would do IMAC but not hover. Landings were OK because that Cap has a biiig wing.

The best combo I've seen used a Moki 2.1 (or is that 2.2?) on FAI fuel. Lots of power and several lbs lighter. You can mix your own FAI fuel pretty cheap.

Cheers,

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Bob put one together with a ZDZ 40 too. He had the pics on his web site. He didn't keep that one long either. I wonder who has it now.

I think the newer version 1.6 with the tuned pipe might fly pretty well but a scale purist would detest the pipe hanging on it. What we need is a wrap around tuned can for the 1.6.

Cheers,

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Only one plane. He used several different engines before unloading the plane. Firewall has several holes.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I have read all the responses and see that a lot of guy's know how to screw up the flying characteristics of a really nice flying plane. For one thing the power to weight gain is not worth all the trouble of going gas it's real simple the plane is to small. I have two of these caps, one I fly with an O.S. 1.60 and the other with a Moki 1.80 and both will fly any way your heart desires 3-D Imac what ever your into and I don't have to worry about adding to the tip stall problem with extra weight that adding gas causes. Either one of them will hover at half throttle and pull out like a rocket. If you want to go gas get a bigger plane and enjoy it but don't waist your time with gas on the Mat Chapman cap or any other version of the 1/4 scale. Also you will never bring that plane in at 11 pounds with a gas engine on it so who ever said that is blowing smoke up your hind side by saying it. By the way I have had these two H-9 caps for at least three years so I know the plane pretty well and it bugs me everytime I see someone suggest a gasser for this plane it is a waist of a good flying air frame to load it down with a gasser. If you do it you'll be in hear screaming about the plane being a tip stalling monster because you weighted it down, they come in heavy enough with a good size glow on them.

Reply to
Bob B

Yep, sure is Jim.

I see Charley also chimed in.

The BME must be some overkill. How are your snap corners with this engine :) I suppose interesting. Bur hey, then there's the power that pulls the plane through.

Reply to
Pe Reivers

That is one opinion. Mine weighs in at 13 pounds 8 ounces and I don't have too much in the way of problems with it. But then a long time ago I learned NOT to haul back on the elevator whenever things are not right. To each his own. . .

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Hey Bob, in the final analysis, I have to agree. After looking at all the engine possibilities (gassers that is), I'd have to say the lightest, best overall power-to-weight ratio is the ZDZ 40... but at roughly 51 ounces (and that's without a muffler), it's just TOO much weight for the CAP.

The CAP is a tip stalling monster. That's for sure. I have the scuffed up wing tips to prove it. I'm still trying to get used to power-on landings at this altitude. I moved from Minneapolis to Denver a couple years ago and I'm still not used to it). Adding an additional 32 - 40 ounces would just be too much.

Anyhow, I actually thought about moving up from the Moki 1.20 to the Moki

1.80 (it's only 10 ounces heavier than the Moki 1.20), but I dismissed the idea cuz I figured the fuel consumption rate would make the flight time too short on my current 18 oz fuel tank. Heck, as it is, right now. I have to add 8 - 10 ounces to the nose just to get it to balance... so the Moki 1.80 would fix my balance problem too.

So, I was really glad to hear that your actually using the Moki 1.80 in this plane.

What altitude do you fly at? What is your full throttle fuel consumption rate? What size fuel tank are you using? What kind of flight times are you getting? Are you balanced on the Hangar9 recommended CG? Did you have to add any weight to the tail on your setup?

Thanks for your input.

BTW. I did go bigger, I've also got the H9 1/3 scale CAP 232 powered by a ZDZ 80 gasser.... fun stuff ;-)

Reply to
Pat Fruth

Bob, Shoot... forgot... one more question. How did you mount the Moki 1.80? Inverted? or Sideways?

Reply to
Pat Fruth

Hi Pat our field is at the highest point in the state of Wisconsin and that's about all I can tell you on that, I'll have to find out the altitude. Full throttle fuel consumption is around 1 1/2 oz's per minute but you rarely need full power with the 1.80 and I run a 20.oz tank so it's no problem getting an 8 to 10 minute flight. I mounted the Moki on the aluminium mount that came with the cap and have had no problems with that. As far as tail heavy I didn't have a problem with that on my Chapman cap because of the moki being a bit on the heavy side, that and I mounted my battery right on top of the tank and I actualy came out in the middle of the c.g. range. I ran dual elevator servo's mounted in the fuse where they belong and used D.B. pushrods and of course the pull-pull on rudder. On my other H-9 cap,it was one of their white versions, I run an O.S. 1.60 and I have to say other than using a little more throttle to pull out of a hover there isn't that much difference between it and the Moki power wise but it seems a bit better on fuel and is a bit lighter than the moki so I had to mount my throttle servo up on the back of the firewall and also mounted the battery on top of the tank like I did in the Chapman cap. The trick with these caps is to keep them as light as possible

12-121/2 pounds and make sure to latteraly balance them, don't get the cg to far back and be easy on the elevator and they will fly as slow as you want without any worry about tip stalling. I can float either one of them in so slow it's almost scary hehe. I read so much about tip stalling on these caps and just kinda shake my head because it doesn't have to be. The biggest problem guy's have is they try to stuff a gasser in them and wind up getting them way to heavy, that and they feel they need to have the cg back in the tail feathers some place for 3-D and it doesn't need that either and then they try to see how much elevator they can get and then come into here and other forums and cry about how bad their caps snap. Sorry about that rant but do a search and you'll see what I mean, I was amazed at how slow these bigger caps can really fly with no problems,a lot different than my 40 size Kyosho cap, now that's a snap monster. What a bag of wind I am hey? So there it is my friend and if you have any other questions just hollar and remember to latteraly balance it, my wing tips are not scuffed up.
Reply to
Bob B

Darn I almost forgot to tell ya, I mounted the 1.80 sideways.

Reply to
Bob B

Ok, so your probably somewhere between 800 - 1300 ft.

Come visit me this summer. Flying the CAP at 6000 ft on a 90 degree summer day gave me a whole new perspective on things ;-)

Reply to
Pat Fruth

Not that my CAP is the one being discussed here, mine's a Genesis CAP 232 and with the ZDZ 40 and it's muffler and batteries, my plane weighs 11 lbs

4 oz. It flies like a dream.
Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings