MVVS 1.60 gas or RCS 140 gas?

Does anyone have any experience with these engines?

They both weigh slightly less than 3 lb. with the muffler, battery and ignition.

Does the 160 make much more power and how much fuel do they use a minute? I am looking for an engine that will power my Ohio R/C Chipmunk and perform all scale aerobatics. It will weigh about 13 lb.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Jolicoeur

Brian:

I've been looking at these engines (and others) very closely recently. From what I can tell the MVVS engines deliver pretty much what they claim, while the RCS falls a bit short of claimed RPMs. I have no first hand experience with either.

Good info on MVVS can be found here:

here:
A review of a H9 Cap 232 25% with MVVS 1.60 Gasser is here:
engine appears to have had very good (but not unlimited) vertical on this airframe (about 12lb)

Good luck ;-)

Reply to
S.Millington

I worked on breaking in an MVVS 1.6 gasser last summer. Haven't gotten the airframe built for it yet. I plan to get a big gas trainer for it first before putting it in an UltraSport

1000.

I can't compare it to the RCS 140. I've seen two MVVS

1.6s fly at my field. They do a creditable job. I've got the tuned pipe for mine from Pe Reivers (sp?), but haven't added it or tached it yet.

Dunno.

I'm going to guess about half as much as glo fuel.

I bought two MVVS engines from Ed Cregger last summer, a 1.6 and a 2.15. I'd be happy to sell you either one for what I paid for it. I want to get a 50cc engine for the Great Planes Extra 300S ARF that a buddy gave me. I think the 2.15 would get it off the ground OK, but I don't think it's going to be enough for 3D maneuvers.

Both engines have ignition systems with them. Neither has been run. Both have been fondled a lot by me and Ed. If I can't sell one or the other, I'll eventually find a plane for both of them. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Martin,

Is this the new engine with the graphite piston, new timing and porting, Falkon EZM1 T1 ignition, large bore carb?

Thanks,

Reply to
Brian Jolicoeur

I think not.

I bought it from Ed last year, and he bought it before that.

It has the Vlach ignition.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Reply to
Brian Jolicoeur

An RCS 140 will hang right at 13 lbs on the prop, a RCS 180 about 16 lbs.

They have good fuel economy. You can probably fly close 2 minutes prehaps longer per ounce of fuel.

The RCS 180 is basically a Moki 180 glow engine with an added ignition module.

Engines like the ZDZ seem to be better designed for the task, run better, run smoother, and have more power.

Reply to
emcook

After weighing the options I ordered a MVVS 1.60 Red Head.

It is supposed to be stronger than the RCS 140 and weighs only 3 oz. more. Is soon as I get it I'll run it in and post what I get. The ZDZ 40 was too large for this application.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Jolicoeur

Well.

Long time since the last post. I found the Evo 26gt to be a dog compared to a OS 160fx. Makes the power of a Saito 150 using a stock muffler. The engine must be run with a tuned pipe to make power.

There is a new US made kid on the block, Syssa aircraft performance SAP

180. Engine and muffler weigh 34 oz. Supposed to make the power of a Saito 180.

We'll see in a few weeks.

Reply to
planekrazee

$429.00! Gulp!

CR

planekrazee wrote:

Reply to
Charley

Charley, what is the price of a new Saito 180?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Astronomical since Horizon got the distributorship.

CR

Six_O'Clock_High wrote:

Reply to
Charley

Astronomical since Horizon got the distributorship.

CR

Six_O'Clock_High wrote:

Reply to
Charley