Aluminium spinner question

How would you turn an aluminum spinner back to shiny? mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:42:54 GMT, "MJKolodziej" wrote in :

I've used very fine steel wool and random solvents to clean up some old spinners.

There are techniques for making them look like chrome. I've read about it but haven't done it myself.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Find a way to chuck it into an electric drill, spin it at moderate speed (say a few hundred rpm) and gently apply a grade 0000 steel wool pad to get all the mill marks and any minor scratches out. If you're really OC you can then form a pad out of a small shop cloth and apply some metal polish to it and spin that on...

/daytripper (It'll shine up wicked pissah :-)

Reply to
daytripper

go to a motorcycle shop and get a polish called Semicrome. At least it was around when I got my tube 22 years ago!

Reply to
Morgans

If you have a lathe or a drill to chuck it up in , turn it as fast as possible with the drill. If you have a lathe approx

1000 rpm works fine. If the spinner is real rough use a 'polishing' grade of emery cloth start with and don't be real aggressive. After smoothing with this the use 'Jewelers Rouge' on a small piece of cloth. With fine Rouge you can make it look like chrome if you would like it that shiny. You can get these supplies at a good auto parts store or a machine shop supply.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

-- bhdutc