Piper Cub

Anybody built a Piper Cub kit (full build)? Looking for a model around the 60-80 inch wing span, using a 40 / 46 or more

2 stroke.

Howard

Reply to
Howard

Having built 4 different Cubs, from 71 in. to 80 plus in., I'd suggest the Goldberg Cub with a 2 stroke .60 or an 4 stroke .80 which will give you float flying capabilities even in a stiff wind.

Have fun, Harry

2 stroke.

Howard

Reply to
Harry Kolomyjec

Have a look At

Go to Modelle->flugmodelle. Select page 6 ( on the bottom of the page ) and look at "PIPER J-3 XL Artikel Nr. 01414550 " Buy the way, this is not a full build kit but a nice ARF modell

Regards. Fil

"Howard" schreef in bericht news:lJhRb.117$ snipped-for-privacy@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
Felicien

I built a Goldberg Anniversary Cub. Flew well. I had a Saito 80 on it. Too much but that is the engine I had available when I built it. Would easily fly around at 1/3 throttle. Sounded and looked (almost) like the real thing putting around up there.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

I've built five Goldberg cubs and one GP cub. The GP does not have the structual integrity of the Goldberg nor have as good as flying characteristics (I'm sure I'll get flak over that). That being said, I've always clipped the wings on mine as the full span version doesn't want to land. I've also installed flaps, scale type ailerons, and horner wingtips. The flaps were pretty much a waste of time, they look neat but really can't be used to land the aircraft unless you want to hold full down elevator while doing so. But with full flap deflection it does a perfect loop. I use OS.70's on mine and it seems the perfect engine for them. They're aerobatic and docile at the same time, just depends on the pilot. Nothing prettier than a cub doing touch and goes on just one wheel or flying off water with floats. Just my .02. Jerry

Reply to
aerobatic69

Reply to
strathboy

Yup... Jus' like dis.....

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

I'm glad you said it before I did. It's beyond me why someone will buy a "scale" plane, then make non-scale mods to it, and usually fly it in a non-scale manner. One guy at our field put a Saito .90 on a Goldberg Cub, and delighted in making acellerating vertical climbs.

Maybe he should look at one of the "fun fly" profile Cubs out there.

Many Sig kits, especially the Cub, ARE "builder's" kits, and VERY scale. The GP Cub is closer to scale outlines than the Goldberg, since it has barn door ailerons like the full size plane. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I've finished my Goldberg Anniversary, done in military colors and invasion stripes. Had it in the air once, looking forward to playing with it this summer. Powered it with a TT .46 and a pitts muffler.

4-stroke would have been nice but maybe next time. Seems to have plenty of power with this eng>>When you do all those things to a J3, its no longer a Cub
Reply to
Dan

Built a flair cub once. Pretty simple. bit smaller than you are after. Flew well on os 40.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| >When you do all those things to a J3, its no longer a Cub | | I'm glad you said it before I did. It's beyond me why someone will | buy a "scale" plane, then make non-scale mods to it, and usually fly | it in a non-scale manner. One guy at our field put a Saito .90 on a | Goldberg Cub, and delighted in making acellerating vertical climbs. | | Maybe he should look at one of the "fun fly" profile Cubs out there.

Why? Sounds like he already has a fun plane ...

Personally, I much prefer the way the Super Club looks. Alas, there's not very many Super Cub models out there, at least not compared to the J3.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Actually the Cub I modified with the barn door ailerons, flaps, and horner tips also has a super cub cowling. It was a version of the cub called a PA11, a forunner of the super cub. And say what you want, it's still a cub, instantly recognized by anyone, even non-flyers. Lighten up people it's a hobby, you know, something we do for fun?

Jerry

Reply to
aerobatic69

So true. It's an overlooked model that makes a very pretty plane, and it's a lot more aerobatic than the J3. Of course, you have a nice aerobatic model if you build the clipped wing version of the J3, too. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I know that plane. That is a good kit-bashing project, and NOT a J3 any more. :)

And I AM lightened up, as you put it...While I admire the skill, I don't like to see Mac Hodges flying his B-29 upside-down, either. I still maintain, if you build a scale plane, fly it in a scale manner, otherwise, build a sport plane. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

You mean I can't fly my scale plane any way I want to? Let's see, I own it, I built it, I fly it, Oh, but only the way DR1 allows? What's wrong with this picture?

Ya ain't light enough yet DR1.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

That's very true, it's not a J3 anymore. But it's a Piper and a Cub, true to the subject of the original post. ;-) Jerry

Reply to
aerobatic69

Reply to
Paul Ryan

Build a Goldberg CUB;clipped wing version

Reply to
John E. Kaiser

LOL! You got that right! I DID fly it inverted once, but it looked so ridiculous that I quickly rolled it upright. And I've never said anyone HAS to fly the way I want, just that it's a shame to build a nice scale model and fly it like a Fun One. As long as I don't have to watch, it's ok. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Reply to
strathboy