First gasser

I would like to try a gas engine. Which plane and engine would be the best as the first one. A cub ? from who ?

Thanks

Andre Gagnon

Reply to
Andre Gagnon

What type of flying do you do? Do you want something slow and stable, or an Extra, or maybe a 4 star 120?

I have thought occasionally about gas engines. I'm thinking of getting a G-23. I hear a lot of good things about them. Then if I don't like it I can sell it and put my Enya R120 in its place.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Well I allready have an 1/4 scale Extra 300 with an OS 120. I want to try try something easy to strart with. I don't want to install a gas engine in my Extra because I think it will be too heavy. I am looking for ideas.

Thanks.

Andre "Robbie and Laura Reynolds" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@kcnet.com...

Reply to
Andre Gagnon

I built a 4 star 120 a few years ago. It was a very nice plane. They fly great, and the front end is easily modified.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Sadly, the G23 is extinct and I hear that some of the G26's are having problems. Of course, you could always buy a used G23.

I liked my Enya 1.20R. Then again, I never met an Enya I didn't like.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The MVVS 1.60 got a good review in one of the recent UK modeling mags. I didn't know until I read it that they have ball-raced con-rods. JustEngines quote it as having 2.7hp and weighing 940 grammes (don't know if that includes ignition or not).

They certainly seem to be worth a look, has anyone here got any experience of one of these engines ?

Reply to
Boo

I like the MVVS 1.60. It isn't perfect, but it is as close as one can buy at the moment.

What I don't like is the hit or miss supply and support here in the USA. Still, it's the best game in town.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Yep, I've got two... So, they're good enough that I'd buy another, and that's saying something.... They'll only give you anything like 2.7hp with a full length pipe, without, I measured mine at under 2.

As for quality, they're nice... they start easily, mine's never stopped in the air, and with a pipe, will prop-hang an 11lb plane easily, pulling it out cleanly afterwards.

-- Philip Rawson

philip-rawson

OK, the big Hangar 9 PT-19 would make a great first gas airplane with a G-23 in it. It's a nice, gentle flyer and is just plane fun. Pun intended.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Power will increase if you clean out the intake manifold duct to 13mm diameter. MVVS "forgot" to do this when they switched to the larger carb in 2002, and corrected this in the 2003 production engines. With MVVS tuned pipe and APC 18x8 I tached 8250 rpm on a 2002 vintage engine.

Reply to
Pé Reivers

The Dynaflite Flybaby makes a good first gas engine/large scale plane. Mine is powered with a Zenoah G23 - also my first gas engine. Nice flying plane, does all the basic maneuvers, and makes perfect touch and goes. A couple pictures of my (nearly completed) Flybaby can be seen here:

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

Does this mean you have a dyno ? Or do you calculate it from the prop and RPM ?

Reply to
Boo