Bellsouth Newsgroup outage

If you are wondering why there have been few posts from the SE modelers with bellsouth addresses the bellsouth newsgroups has been down for 3 days with no indication as to when they will be back up and running. This includes the states of MS, TN, KY, AL, GA, SC and NC - pretty much all of AMA district V.

Access to the rec.models.rc.air newsgroup must be made through other channels than bellsouth.

Red Scholefield AMA Dist v

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Red, Bellsouth without warning is no longer using WebUseNet as their newsgroup provider. No explanatiion for the change. Bellsouth does have the server (newsgroups.bellsouth.net) configured for whoever is providing the service now. What you have to do is delete (unsubscribe) from the server. Resubscribe back to the above server. You will be prompted for your Bellsouth Logon ID. Make sure you put @bellsouth.net behind it. It will then ask you for your Bellsouth password. At this point you will be able to download all the newsgroups. Resubscibe to your favorite ones. Dave

Reply to
David B. Thomas Jr.

Thanks, followed you instructions and now I'm back in business. What a way to run a business!

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I just dropped my Highstream ISP because of a similar problem. Things were going along fine for a couple of weeks, then the newsgroups went - uh - south.

I'm trying ISP-West for now. So far, so good.

Things are changing so fast in the industry that nothing is stable. What a PITA.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Dave,

From my understanding it was due to Webusenet being so unreliable. With Bellsouth running news internally it's going to be more of the same, if not worse with shorter retention, problems with completeness, etc.

I complained to them and asked that they look into other third-party services to outsource their newsgroups to. Not that my request is going to make a difference, but if more people complain maybe it will. In the meantime I setup my own account on newsguy.com, they offer retail memberships for newsgroups. I've been on for a week so far and have to say I'm very happy with them.

Tom Gordon

Reply to
Tom Gordon

Reply to
David B. Thomas Jr.

Ah, good luck with it. A friend of mine has the Direcway service and hasn't had any complaints about them.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Gordon