Amazon Heads Up

In general, Amazon offers some good deals.
But there is a "however" documented by recent observations that deserves elaboration:
1. The price Amazon offered on one tool was more than 40% higher than that obtainable at a local big box during the height of the Xmas season. Sure, you have to shop around but the discrepancy was whopping if you preconceive Amazon as reliably competitive.
2. Amazon sent me an email offering deals on certain tools it modeled would be of interest. One tool was already in my shopping cart. Separately checking the cart showed the tool pegged at a figure $10 lower than their email offer.
3. Deciding to read all of the reviews on an item, I opened a new page just for that purpose. After moving through a succession of new windows--and seventy some reviews or so--I noticed the price on the last review page for the merchandise was now measurably higher than that featured on the original item-description page still open. Reloading the original item-description page did not make that price leap to the higher figure on the last review page.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
I also recently received an email from them warning me that they will be terminating all Illinois Amazon affiliates.
message

I:
I affiliates in other states are not being terminated, you have to wonder what new Illinois' law they disagree with and, if it isn't obvious, why.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Illinois isn't the only state that is attempting to collect taxes from Amazon.
http://tinyurl.com/3y6xfjj
Max
Edward Hennessey wrote:

Illinois just announced they were moving to collect sales tax on internet purchases.
In 1992, the Supreme Court ruled a state cannot do so unless the company they are attacking has some sort of physical presence in the state (Quill v. North Dakota). Amazon is terminating affiliates in order to disconnect from any possible physical presence.
If Amazon allowed its affiliates to remain part of the Amazon family, Amazon would be obliged to collect the Illinois sales tax and forward it to the state.
In addition to the internet business, the Democrat-controlled state legislature intends:
* To raise the state income tax by 75% for the next four years, and * Add $1.00 / pack tax on cigarettes.

That sounds totally democtrat.

Right. Get used to paying that tax. It will be permanent.

They're going to continue to do crap like this until a tipping point is reached. Once it is reached (they aren't far from it now), a new criminal enterprise will appear: Tobacco smuggling. Not only are they no longer going to be able to collect tax on it, it is going to be quite expensive as law enforcement have then got something else to deal with. I don't smoke myself but when it gets to that point, I will buy one case of cigarettes a month (maybe more depending on price) to support the black market.
"CW" wrote in message

That sounds totally democtrat.

Right. Get used to paying that tax. It will be permanent.

They're going to continue to do crap like this until a tipping point is reached. Once it is reached (they aren't far from it now), a new criminal enterprise will appear: Tobacco smuggling. Not only are they no longer going to be able to collect tax on it, it is going to be quite expensive as law enforcement have then got something else to deal with. I don't smoke myself but when it gets to that point, I will buy one case of cigarettes a month (maybe more depending on price) to support the black market.
Reply: Is already happening in NYC. Their extra tax made the price of a pack $13-15. There are still as many cigarettes being sold, but the tax receipts are down. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124804682785163691.html

These twits always claimed that the goal of taxing cigarettes so high was to encourage people to quit. Anybody with half a brain knew better. I think cigarettes is just the tip of the iceberg. Shit's about to hit the fan and the politicians are getting scared. Go smugglers!
The legislators and other liberals are power mad, gone wild. Smugglers are capitalists of the purest nature. In this case, I side with the smugglers. Though I don't smoke, and am allergic to tobacco.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Quit smoking. It's bad for you.
In

if everybody quits, do you think the gvnmt will cut the billions they recieve in taxes from their budgets or just find someone or something else to tax? be careful what you wish for<g>

Sam, that should be "Quit smoking. Don't you realize that you stink like a dirty ashtray all day long?" My neighbor is a heavy smoker and I have to spray air freshener in my house after she's been here for five minutes, and I don't allow smoking anywhere near my house.

Do you honestly think that the taxes brought in from tobacco sales outweigh the massive healthcare debt brought on by sick smokers?
-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.
The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.
The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Got any hard figures to go with that? I figured that if ten bucks per carton went to taxes, the average 2-pack/day smoker would contribute $730/yr for those 73 cartons. After 20 years, that's $14,600.
How much does a full diagnostic workup for cancer cost? How much to treat emphysema?
How much does a lung resection/removal cost? http://healthcarebluebook.com/page_Results.aspx?idE&dataset=MD Oops, you just blew THIRTY FIVE YEARS of tax payments, not including R&R time.
How much does chemo cost? Throat/mouth cancer treatments?
I think you're wishing here, mon. BTW, Federal taxes are only $6.16/carton.
-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

Your numbers are out of date. Federal taxes are now $10.10 per carton. State and local add to that. Around here the taxes are about $47 per carton not including sales tax. The median tax (Fed + State not including local) is $23.49 per carton.
I don't know what the current numbers are, but Hills study from the 50's showed an increased mortality rate for lung cancer and cardiovascular disease among cigarette smoking doctors at 3.42 per 1000 person years. So the 20% may be a reasonable number.
So, a thousand people smoke for 20 years. Collectively they pay $343 million dollars into the fund. 200 get sick that leaves them 1.7 million each for treatment.
Paul K. Dickman

Sorry, I added a zero. The smokers pay $34.3 million. The sick get $170,000 for treatment.
Paul K. Dickman
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 11:17:13 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"

I got that from the first googled site I found with a figure. Cite?

$47 in taxes for, what, a $55 carton? GET REAL! Cites, please.

Cite?
Cite?
Redo the figures with real numbers, Paul.
-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

$6.16 was the amount of the increase.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/29/single-largest-cigarette-tax-hike-goes-effect-wednesday /
Tobacco companies and public health advocates, longtime foes in the nicotine battles, are trying to turn the situation to their advantage. The major cigarette makers raised prices a couple of weeks ago, partly to offset any drop in profits once the per-pack tax climbs from 39 cents to $1.01.

http://www.galesburg.com/archive/x549591029/Higher-costs-have-smokers-kicking-habitCigarettes in Illinois cost $49 to $55 a carton - with 10 packs in acarton - outside the Chicago area. A carton is $90 to $95 in Chicago becauseof additional taxes imposed by Cook County and the city of Chicago,according to Harry "Bud" Kelley, executive director of the Association ofTobacco and Candy Distributors.>>>The median tax (Fed + State not including local) is $23.49 per carton.>> Cite?http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0097.pdfTable shows all cigarette tax rates in effect now. Since 2002, 47 states,DC, and several U.S. territories have increased their cigarette tax ratesmore than 100 times. The three states in bold type have not increased theircigarette tax since 1999 or earlier. Currently, 29 states, DC, Puerto Rico,the Northern Marianas, and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $1.00 per packor higher; 14 states, DC, and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $2.00 perpack or higher; five states and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $3.00 perpack or higher; and one state (NY) has a cigarette tax rate more than $4.00per pack. Tobacco states are KY, VA, NC, SC, GA, and TN. States' averageincludes DC, but not Puerto Rico, other U.S. territories, or local cigarettetaxes. The median tax rate is $1.339 per pack. AK, MI, MN, MS, UT also havespecial taxes or fees on brands of manufacturers not participating in thestate tobacco lawsuit settlements (NPMs>>>I don't know what the current numbers are, but Hills study from the 50's>>showed an increased mortality rate for lung cancer and cardiovascular>>disease among cigarette smoking doctors at 3.42 per 1000 person years. So>>the 20% may be a reasonable number.>> Cite?http://www.cdc.gov/excite/classroom/smoking_q.pdf Excess Deaths per 1000 Person-YearsLung Cancer 1.23Cardiovascular Disease 2.19>>>>So, a thousand people smoke for 20 years. Collectively they pay $343million>>dollars into the fund. 200 get sick that leaves them 1.7 million each for>>treatment.>> Redo the figures with real numbers, Paul.I did. If you check my reply to myself, I made a mistake on my firstcalculations, I added an extra zero. The patients only get $170,000.Paul K. Dickman
The formatting got screwed up in transmission. This one should be easier.
wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;if everybody quits, do you think the gvnmt will cut the billions they<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;recieve in taxes from their budgets or just find someone or something<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;else<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;to tax?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;be careful what you wish for&lt;g&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Do you honestly think that the taxes brought in from tobacco sales<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;outweigh the massive healthcare debt brought on by sick smokers?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Actually...yes.&nbsp; Only 20% of smokers have medical issues related to<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;smoking. Yet 100% of smokers pay into the system in very big big ways.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Got any hard figures to go with that?&nbsp; I figured that if ten bucks per<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; carton went to taxes, the average 2-pack/day smoker would contribute<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; $730/yr for those 73 cartons. After 20 years, that's $14,600.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; How much does a full diagnostic workup for cancer cost?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; How much to treat emphysema?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; How much does a lung resection/removal cost?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; http://healthcarebluebook.com/page_Results.aspx?id=45&amp ;dataset=MD<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Oops, you just blew THIRTY FIVE YEARS of tax payments, not including<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; R&amp;R time.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; How much does chemo cost?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Throat/mouth cancer treatments?<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I think you're wishing here, mon.&nbsp; BTW, Federal taxes are only<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; $6.16/carton.<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;Your numbers are out of date. Federal taxes are now $10.10 per carton. <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;State<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; I got that from the first googled site I found with a figure.&nbsp; Cite?<BR></DIV></FONT> <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;$6.16 was the amount of the increase.<BR>&nbsp;<BR><BR>&nbsp;<A href="http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/29/single-largest-cigarette-tax-hike-goes-effect-wednesday /">http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/29/single-largest-cigarette-tax-hike-goes-effect-wednesday /</A></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><BR><BR>&nbsp;Tobacco companies and public health advocates, longtime foes in the nicotine&nbsp;<BR> battles, are trying to turn the situation to their advantage. The major&nbsp;<BR> cigarette makers raised prices a couple of weeks ago, partly to offset any&nbsp;<BR> drop in profits once the per-pack tax climbs from 39 cents to $1.01.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;and local add to that. Around here the taxes are about $47 per carton not<BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;including sales tax.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; $47 in taxes for, what, a $55 carton?&nbsp; GET REAL!&nbsp; Cites, please.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;</FONT></DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial> <DIV><BR>&nbsp;<A href="http://www.galesburg.com/archive/x549591029/Higher-costs-have-smokers-kicking-habit ">http://www.galesburg.com/archive/x549591029/Higher-costs-have-smokers-kicking-habit </A></DIV> <DIV><BR><BR>Cigarettes in Illinois cost $49 to $55 a carton - with 10 packs in acarton - outside the Chicago area. A carton is $90 to $95 in Chicago becauseof additional taxes imposed by Cook County and the city of Chicago,according to Harry "Bud" Kelley, executive director of the Association ofTobacco and Candy Distributors.<BR><BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;The median tax (Fed + State not including local) is $23.49 per carton.&gt;<BR>&gt; Cite?<BR><BR>http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0097.pdf <BR><BR><BR>Table shows all cigarette tax rates in effect now. Since 2002, 47 states,DC, and several U.S. territories have increased their cigarette tax ratesmore than 100 times. The three states in bold type have not increased theircigarette tax since 1999 or earlier. Currently, 29 states, DC, Puerto Rico,the Northern Marianas, and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $1.00 per packor higher; 14 states, DC, and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $2.00 perpack or higher; five states and Guam have cigarette tax rates of $3.00 perpack or higher; and one state (NY) has a cigarette tax rate more than $4.00per pack. Tobacco states are KY, VA, NC, SC, GA, and TN. States' averageincludes DC, but not Puerto Rico, other U.S. territories, or local cigarettetaxes. The median tax rate is $1.339 per pack. AK, MI, MN, MS, UT also havespecial taxes or fees on brands of manufacturers not participating in thestate tobacco lawsuit settlements&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;I don't know what the current numbers are, but Hills study from the 50's&gt;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;showed an increased mortality rate for lung cancer and cardiovascular&gt;<BR>&gt;disease among cigarette smoking doctors at 3.42 per 1000 person years. So&gt;<BR>&gt;the 20% may be a reasonable number.&gt;<BR></DIV> <DIV>&gt; Cite?<BR><BR><A href="http://www.cdc.gov/excite/classroom/smoking_q.pdf ">http://www.cdc.gov/excite/classroom/smoking_q.pdf </A></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;<BR><BR>Excess Deaths per 1000 Person-Years<BR>Lung Cancer&nbsp; 1.23<BR>Cardiovascular Disease 2.19<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;So, a thousand people smoke for 20 years. Collectively they pay $343million&gt;<BR>&gt;dollars into the fund. 200 get sick that leaves them 1.7 million each for&gt;<BR>&gt;treatment.&gt;<BR>&gt; Redo the figures with real numbers, Paul.<BR><BR>I did. If you check my reply to myself, I made a mistake on my firstcalculations, I added an extra zero. The patients only get $170,000.<BR><BR>Paul K. Dickman<BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:24:27 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"

http://www.galesburg.com/archive/x549591029/Higher-costs-have-smokers-kicking-habit
Holy Shit, Maynard! I sit corrected. It might be cheaper to hire a moving van and move out of IlliNOISE than pay their ciggy taxes.

[...]

I suppose that it is possible for the taxes to pay for it, then, all other figures withstanding, in some states.
P.S: I spent 5 minutes reformatting the response you sent. Next time, please leave a space between quoted text and the response, or add a line and then insert your response, please. Also add a space between the link and the following text. <sigh>
-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

Something in the cut and paste shifted the formatting. It looked fine until I saw it on the newsgroup. I redid it promptly and sent out a revised version.
As to the original premise of cigarette taxes... I am not advocating smoking. I am not saying that the taxes are covering the bills. I just don't know. What I am saying is that those taxes are not chump change.
It probably adds up to over $40 billion a year (state and fed)
Paul K. Dickman