Brown & Sharpe Vise

Does anyone know if a Brown & Sharpe No.1 vise was available with a swivel base? If anyone has a base and would like to sell it, please advise. Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Danth48

According to Danth48 :

Hmm ... looking at an old (but not old enough) B&S catalog, the No. 1 (Old Ref number) was one of four sizes of "plain" vises. These are ground on the sides to be totally flat and square.

The old Number 21 has a rather hefty base with notches for hold-down bolts. It is not listed as being available with a swivel base.

The old Number 22 is available flanged (as above) or with a swivel base under the flanged base.

The No. 1 has a jaw width is 4-1/4".

The No. 2 (and No. 22) are larger, with a jaw width of 5-1/8".

The toolmaker's vise (available in No. 2 and No. 3 sizes, but not in No. 1) has three swivels on three different axes.

So -- if your #1 is as I described up in my first paragraph, then at least when my catalog was new (probably around 1974 or so) it was not available with a swivel base.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to