holy grail of kits?

what is your most sought after kit and cant get or cant find,or both. or you found it but cant afford it yet?..........for a long time it was the 1/48th ryan X-13 vertijet for me,.finally got it a few months ago,.than it became the

1/40th 280 mm atomic cannon, ,just got that one a few weeks ago,.........have had some collect-aire kits over the last coulple of years,.getting some more again now,.but after i thought that after i got the (big) one in my mind i really needed/wanted , i wouldnt need anything else,.but i have to admit,i cant stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....how about you ?
Reply to
RLGIRSCH

My Grail Kits were the Revell Space ship series; the XSL-01, the Helios and the Space Station. To a lesser extent, I also wanted the Strombecker Krafft Ehricke Convair set. Thanks to eBay, over the past three years, I was able to find all of them and now that I'm retired, I plan on building each. So far, the Helios and the Strombecker circum-lunar vehicle are completed. I want to do the latter again, scratch-built and in 1:72 over this winter. We'll see.

The Old Timer

I no longer build (or collect) models but about two years ago I gave some thought to getting the 1st model airplane kit I built (Monogram Speedee Bilt P-51) or my favorite Speedee Bilt kit (Invader) until I saw the prices they went for.

I got the P-51 kit when I was 11 (1951) in a Cub Scout contest. A nice flying model (at least that is the way I remember it). The Invader was maybe first kit I spent some effort to fill & get nicely finished (at least to my 12 year old eyes it was).

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

Blue Rider MF11 and Formaplane Caudron are two that spring to mind immediately.

Reply to
Dave Fleming

In article , RLGIRSCH writes

Mine was the 1/48 Tamiya Lanc 'Barnes Wallis special' (Dam Buster & Grand Slam bomber). Now that I have it (far and away my most expensive kit), I don't want to start until I know which version to build, so I really need another one. The newer B.1 Special Grand Slam with spinning props is even more expensive again, then there'd need to be a bog standard B.1 (purely for comparison!) as well I guess...

Will I ever get round to building it, probably not. Might settle with the Airfix 1/72 Lancs instead (already have the B.1/111).

Reply to
John Halliwell

For me it's the 1964 AMT1/25 scale Olds Cutlass hardtop. It was one of the first kits I ever bought and built back in '64. Later in life I owned a real one.

Ron

Reply to
OSTIAANTIC

the merrimac and monitor set, and that nuclear powered ship with the reactor. forget who but i think it was called the suvannah?

my most desired were the first two kits I seriously worked on.K&B reboxes of the Breguet 14 and the Gotha G.V.Found the Breguet in perfect untouched shape for 15 bucks,still looking for a similar deal on the Gotha.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Interesting thread this - keep adding folks. Hope I'm not changing the thrust of it too much when I say my holy grail is the Accurate Miniatures F-4 Phantom family. It's been done by Hasegawa you'll say. Accurate Miniatures never did that say others. I know. But what I want is a range of 1/48 F-4's ( at least 15!!) that are ready to build to my satisfaction without after market parts and have none of the quirks that you get mixing say Monogram (which in some ways are superior to Hasegawas) with other manufacturers. But that's my personal thing - I like to illustrate in 3D the evolution of airplane designs. Trouble is, there's not enough hours in the day or space on the shelves. But there it is - my Holy Grail. What's yours? Chek

Reply to
Chek

Not sure if this strictly meets the holy grail category, but...

I had always wanted a good production example of the F-18 in 1/32 scale to sit beside my other 1/32 Navy stuff. The Hasegawa one was around but a lot of work was required to bring it up to production spec etc, etc.

Then Academy announced the release of a 1/32 scale F-18. All new tooling and were promising the earth. As soon as the announcement came I was looking out for it and had the expectation building in me. Only draw back was they announced the kit back in 2000 I think, so you can understand the tension and relief when on the 28th of July this year I bought at a Bring and Buy in Christchurch New Zealand and then took home MY 1/32 Academy F-16C baby for the first time. And you know what? It went straight into the 'to do' stack!! I wonder how long it will be there for? Not long I'm betting!!

Cheers, Billy.

RLGIRSCH wrote:

Reply to
Scotts Billy

wouldn't that be a really bfk?

REALLY?!?!?...your Academy F/A-18C morphed into an F-16C?..right there in the box...now THAT'S pretty Grail-like...;)

Hope mine don't do this...I've been waiting too long for a descent Hornet...

Reply to
Rufus

Hmm, first on the list was the Trimaster series, but eBay and Hyperscale took care of that. Then it was the Monogram 1/48th scale B-24s, that was taken care of, now its been the Aeroclub Vulcan, and probably will for a looooooooooooong time to come.

But I have my Dynavector TSR.2s to hold me over!

Happy Modeling! Bradley Chun

THIS WE'LL DEFEND!!!!!!

Black Berets are EARNED, not ISSUED!!!!!

Vacuform kits are not engineered or as up to date as their Injection Molded counterparts.

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night!

Reply to
vacuform modeler

" ...

The Revell Space Station, the Revell Moon Rocket and the Revell USS Norton Sound which unfortunately was retooled into the Pine Island so the molds no longer exist. The Moon rocket would be my first choice. It was based on a TRW design and I believe Revell still has the molds. I'd buy copies of any of the Revell rocket series - some I have one copy of and am leary to build. The old Adams Thor with launch stand is another old favorite.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Ironically, one fell into my hands, relatively speaking, some years ago. Complete and unbuilt, though most of the parts were off the trees. I'll probably never build it, waiting for one of the promised new kits.

Reply to
steve gallacci

Drop me an e-mail. I have an extra Savannah for a decent price.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Two real odd oldies top my list, the Polish Plastyk Jaskolka and Zefir II gliders in 1/75 scale from the 1960s. I have later, better kits in 1/72, but I have never seen these.

For the Disney collection that Lynne and I share: any Disney kit. Moon Rocket and Peter Pan Pirate Ship (both 1/72) top the list. Space series, Pirates and Haunted Mansion, Frontierland wagons, etc. The only one that I have now is the Hasegawa 1/200 Disney On Tour 747.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Oh silly me :) Oh how I blush. I meant F-18C of coarse. Got to say, a very very nice kit.

Cheers, Billy.

Rufus wrote:

Reply to
Scotts Billy

The kit I've been looking for is the Aurora german sea raider Alantis. I found one at a model show once,but it had already been built and a poor job at that.And they wanted a $150.00 bucks for it. Needless to say I'm still looking for my holy grail.

Reply to
CHANEY262

i really don't want one..but it was interesting. now the other set...was that lindberg?