scale accuracy of Matchbox 1/32 kits

I have the Stuka, 109 and SBD. Are they at least close? Most people bang
on MB kits, but I was actually fairly impressed with the detail,
particularly on the SBD. But then I'm just a rank amateur, so I could be
way off.
Reply to
Disco58
they're fun to mod and the scales are usually good. the big kits are very bare but you an detail them until your arms fall off. i've only built the stuka, but i have the rest. the stuka can be hacked to show candid control surfaces etc. if i had one to do now, i would get a resin cockpit and better decals. and a vac canopy that could be fully opened up.
Reply to
someone
When did MB do a 1/32 Stuka? All I remember are the Venom, Tiger Moth, Lysander, Me-109, SBD & Spitfire.
Reply to
frank
remember are the Venom,
Ok, I stand corrected. The Stuka that was running through my brain is the Revell version with the snake down the side. I knew they were all in the same 1/32 storage box in my basement, and I could picture the stacking order inside the box with the MB stuff on top. By virtue of that, the Stuka became part of the MB group.
Reply to
Grinch
Oh, _that_ thing...the one with the million raised rivets on it. It's a ball to try and put decals on it. :-D
Pat
Reply to
Pat Flannery
From what I remember of the time, the main criticism of Matchbox kits was that the engraved panel lines were deep trenches. The 1/32 kits were well received at the time. They were well detailed - again for the time. That same level of detail wouldn't be so impressive today, but today we have aftermarket resin and PE that can be used. If you are prepared to do a lot of detailing and re-engraving, then the Matchbox kits can still be used to produce a stunning model.
Reply to
Enzo Matrix
Pat Flannery wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:
Airfix did a 1/24th Ju-87 - maybe that's what's causing the confusion?
RobG (The Aussie one)
Reply to
RobG
MPC re-boxed the Airfix 1/24 kit, IIRC.
innews: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:
Reply to
frank
I have been doing the old Mbox boxed Venom for years...doing bits on it, i did lots of detail to the cockpit, but i guess its not accurate as i didnt/dont have fotos (i asked on here about 5 years ag). i impoved the seats...I WILL complete it one day, but not with the orig decals that were screwed.....
If anyone has the Revell kit, and can spare a option that would be great
Reply to
Jules
nodnodnod I had a similar problem with the decals. The middle of each decal tended to lift off the backing sheet.
Maybe Revell could provide you with a new decal sheet.
Reply to
Enzo Matrix
Well i know the rep for my area, will give him a call at home tomorrow and pester him..
I did a huge amount of filling and making the kit look good, shame to waste it.
Im surprised no one has done a decal sheet for this, esp as its back out...
Reply to
Jules
That's a very good point, especially as the kit could also be built as an RAF Venom NF3.
I wonder if a short run decal sheet would be profitable. There were five RAF squadrons which used the type and probably three FAA squadrons. In addition there would no doubt have been at least one operational conversion unit for each service. The type was also exported. Plenty of scope for markings there.
Reply to
Enzo Matrix
Yes, i asked about it, as i know personally some decal makers and artists, i can push them again..
Has anyone actually built this kit?
Im quite happy actually, i managed to pick up this week, a 72nd Airfix Bucc still sealed...at the old price. Mind you, i cant see me building it, i had every bit of etch, resin available years ago, but never had the kit, so i sold them on ebay (mind you, got a fantastic price)
I didnt get the chance to goto Telford, so didnt pick up a hold n fold style tool..so cant start my 48th Su-22
Reply to
Jules
Airfix 1/24th kit re-boxed over here. Looks cool in the box but I don't know how it is to build. All of my 1/24th kits have four wheels and tires.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Site Timeline