10 worst model kits of all time

Having seen the recent thread of 50 worst cars of all time, I thought about what we could do ...at least as well as the car guy... of the 10
worst model kits of all time. (let's keep it to injected molded styrene)
(Al S would have loved this thread)
Have at it!!
---Stephen
How do you want to do this --
a) Accuracy b) Assembly c) Choice of subject
Seems we better refine this up front or it will go one forever...
Cookie Sewell
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Testors/Italleri 1/48 F/A-18E gets my vote in categories a) and b)...
...otherwise, I can think of a few subjects I may not have built except for the fact that the kit offered was a fantastic feat of engineering and quality - so I'd vote category c) as irrelevant.
--
- Rufus

Starfix (a & b) Any additional Bf.109 or P-51D (more plastic than actual aircraft - by weight!)

The only kit that I ever tossed in the trash after trying to build it was the Merlin Kaman HOK-1. The clear plastic fuselage was so brittle that it cracked when a drill bit started turnng on it. The fuselage halves didn't fit, rotor blades were a bad joke, nothing fit and it wasn't even a decent paint horse.
I should have guessed that it would be trouble when I saw the box art with the star and bar applied upside down.:-0
BTW, the Starfix HH-3 copy of the Aurora kit was nicely done.
Tom

The PM models Ta-154 is my choice. The guys making the wing molds were not on speaking terms with the guys making the fuselage molds, and neither group had really taken a good look at the Ta-154.
--
Frank Henriquez Programmer/Analyst Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA
snipped-for-privacy@ucla.edu http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/index.htm

I had a lot of fun building mine, but it was for a group build called "49 Schneider". The premise was what if the floatplane races were held after the war. I built my Czech Ta154 Moskito on floats... I just took it out in the sun to take a picture of it.. here: http://www.picturetrail.com/ta154moskito
My other entry was Israeli... a Bearcat on floats.
So, yes the PM Moskito is a POS, but it sure was excellent fodder for this hot rod kind of project! (price was right too)
---- Stephen
Stephen Tontoni wrote:

Nice paint job! Those "rotating" props bring back memories of old MPC kits. Should have had an Israeli S-199 of floats. There might actually been a float version of the P-38 if the war had been fought a little differently: http://www.p-38online.com/exp.html A very attractive aircraft if it had been built.
Pat

That kit was a lot of fun to do for that project which was in Fine Scale Modeler some time ago. I chose to make a solid canopy by filling the kit one with resin. I shaped it to be more aerodynamic as I did with the tail, as well as adding a skeg beneath the tail. Can't see in the picture, but rather than the side mounted intakes for the engines, I scratchbuilt and cast NACA air ducts over the top. The exhaust is not vented out the side either; since all the landing gear/wheel wells were deleted on the hydro version, I simply ducted all the exhaust straight out the back. But, I misplaced the race numbers which would have disqualified it. It was a very fun project, as I said before.
My first entry that was very close to completion was a DH Hornet with contra-rotating 5 bladed props driven by Griffon engines. Canopy was deleted, and it was piloted from the prone position. I had a buddy of mine vac a nose in clear that I grafted on. The thing looked fast, but I had a last minute disaster and the model was never completed. Oh well!
--- Stephen
Stephen Tontoni wrote:

That would look really sharp! Try these things on for size: http://home.att.net/~dannysoar4/BillBarnes.htm Meet the Stormer, Snorter, and Lancer: http://home.att.net/~dannysoar4/oldgoodguy.htm http://home.att.net/~dannysoar4/newgoodguy.htm And here's the plans for the models: http://home.att.net/~dannysoar4/barnesplans.htm
Pat

Oh yes, that's very fun stuff. I found a picture I had taken of my Israeli Bearcat that was modified for the Schneider '49 race. I don't even recall where I found that spinner for it, but it looks pretty cool. Also enlarged the leading edge intakes, streamlined the canopy, etc etc etc...
http://www.picturetrail.com/schneider_bearcat
Talk to you later!
(can't find a picture of that darned DH Hornet... I wrote an article on the build for internet modeler but am too lazy to go looking for it.. anyone really good with searches?)
--- Stephen Tontoni
Stephen Tontoni wrote:

Oh, that does look sharp; has a touch of a Japanese "Rex" seaplane fighter about it, doesn't it? It'd be fun to work out the aerodynamics of the wing tip float pylons. Now you've got me tempted to do some sort of a asymmetrical Blohm and Voss one. :-D
Pat
Frank Henriquez wrote:

I have one of those; I've seen a lot worse than that over the years. Take a look at the size of the seats on the Revell of Germany 1/72 Ar-240 sometime. The aircraft was apparently crewed by Hobbits, or the model is really in HO scale. Actually, I think the PM Ta-183 is worse than the Ta-154.
Pat

try the seat in a linberg ar 234! it's a lazy l, sorta. but not to worry, there's a 2 piece, down the centerline canopy you can't see through. and rivets on the glass, even.

I noticed that the seats in several of the RoG Luft '46 planes were very small. I guess the pilots had small bee-hinds!

Really? I found the kit to fit fairly well, and the cockpit and engine/main gear section were easy to open up and detail.

That looks like a great use for it! I didn't build either of mine as a Ta-154, and ended up using many of the bits in other projects.
Another annoying PM kit is their Yak-15. Nothing really too awful with the kit, other than its simplicity... but the canopy was ridiculously thick, thicker even than the fuselage plastic! It was so thick that it acted as a lens.
--
Frank Henriquez Programmer/Analyst Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA
snipped-for-privacy@ucla.edu http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/index.htm
Frank Henriquez wrote:

It looks too fat back by the tailcone, as this photo of its exhaust area shows:
http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/axis/luft/nix183a.jpg
This AMtech resin kit looks a lot more accurate in overall fuselage shape: http://www.inpayne.com/models/ta183.html Particularly near the tailpipe area. Unlike a lot of Luftwaffe secret jet projects, this got into the fairly detailed design stage before the war ended, so that data on it is out there if you go looking for it. The AMtech model seems to agree better with the wind tunnel model and design plans: http://www.luft46.com/fw/ta183-i.html Surprising Huma didn't do a model of it.

I've got one I built and at least got rid of the most glaring errors on, but it's not anything to get excited about, that's for sure.

Got that one too. Those cannons don't attach at all well to the nose, and the jet intake cone seems to stick too far out the front.

Comrade! Was bullet-resistant "Rebalouk" plastic made from compressed onion skins laminated with fish bladder-based glue! At eight inches thick, Rebalouk could stop a .30 caliber bullet nearly 25% of the time! Many Yak-15 Hero-Pilots owed their lives to Rebalouk, and their unique odor also! These bold pilots were always immediately identifiable on their arrival at an airbase, as all spectators would smell the air and say "Yak!" to one another! ;-)
Pat
PM Ta 154. Buried in the dark recesses of my mind. Frank resurrects those memories and I just blew dinner into the trashcan. The kit led me to do a three page "review" of the kit for the group over ten years ago.
Add to it:
Smer 1/48 MiG 17. MPM 1/72 George.
I think I'm gonna be sick again...
Art
http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/index.htm
Art Murray wrote:

Jeeze, I dug out my copy of Green's "Warplanes Of The Third Reich" and started to compare my model of it to the drawings in the book last night, and it's not that bad...it's not up to say ROG or Hasegawa standards by any means, but I've built far worse kits than that from "garage" manufacturers over the years. You latch onto that MPM Me-262 Mistel kit and the TA-154 is going to look like a dream to build by comparison. PM is a very small manufacturer, and its releases need to be judged by the standards of other very small model manufacturing firms, not mainstream ones. Sure it's going to take some work, and sure it's got some problems as far as detail goes...but latch onto a Pegasus Model's BV-155 and tell me how much fun you have making _that_ look even vaguely presentable.
Pat
Just remembered another to add to the list.... Blue Max Fokker DR.I in 1/48 scale.
Although expensive, and supposedly state of the art at the time, the plastic looked more like Ivory soap. Somehow you were supposed to get a Fokker shaped thing out of that. Also white metal details that were apparently lovingly cast, packaged, then walked on by the Manchester United football club.
This was one I bought sight unseen (hey, it's expensive, it's good right?) and immediately put it on ebay. I'll go to hell for that ..among other transgressions. (although I did take lots of pictures of the kit itself).
---- Stephen

And that led me to a google search. It looks like we had this conversation (and coming to the same conclusion) 9 or 10 years ago, back in the Golden Era of RMS!
I was really tempted to get the MPM George, once.
Frank